Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just downgrade my Gold card to Green Traditional

tag
pakman92
Established Contributor

Just downgrade my Gold card to Green Traditional

With AX BCP, True Earnings, Chase Freedom and CSP, I was simply not using Amex Gold card.  (It was an old account 1989, gold traditional with MR tacked on).  I just called to downgrade to Amex Green Traditional (w/o MR).  My wife was an AU on it also.  While I will 'miss?' (not really) the cache of pulling out he gold card.  It was well worth it.  Why pay the additional AF?  I was thinking about cancelling it all together, but, I'd like to keep it in pertepuity as it's one of the oldest account we hold.

My Starting Score: EQ: 691 (11/30/11) TU98: 726 (11/30/11)
My Current Score: EQ: 779 (04/22/13) TU08: 835 (06/03/13)
DW Starting Score: EQ: 742 (03/02/12) TU98: 748 (03/02/12)
DW Current Score: EQ: 784 (03/11/13) TU08: 775 (06/03/13)
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
SisterGirl
Established Contributor

Re: Just downgrade my Gold card to Green Traditional

@pakman92 wrote:

With AX BCP, True Earnings, Chase Freedom and CSP, I was simply not using Amex Gold card.  (It was an old account 1989, gold traditional with MR tacked on).  I just called to downgrade to Amex Green Traditional (w/o MR).  My wife was an AU on it also.  While I will 'miss?' (not really) the cache of pulling out he gold card.  It was well worth it.  Why pay the additional AF?  I was thinking about cancelling it all together, but, I'd like to keep it in pertepuity as it's one of the oldest account we hold.

I understand TOTALLY where you're coming from, as I've found myself doing the same thing about 6 years ago.....making the card worth "retaining" as I lowered the fee to justify the member cost.

SisterGirl

SisterGirl
Message 2 of 7
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@pakman92 wrote:

I don't think there is cache in pulling out gold cards anymore (is there?) but there certainly is cache (at least here) of having an amex account from 1989. Good move keeping it alive. 

Message 3 of 7
pakman92
Established Contributor

@scenery_guy wrote:

@pakman92 wrote:

I don't think there is cache in pulling out gold cards anymore (is there?) but there certainly is cache (at least here) of having an amex account from 1989. Good move keeping it alive. 

You are quite right, there is no cache in pulling out the gold card.  But, I was trying to negotiate a better rate at holiday inn when I got stranded due to missed flight, the hotel clerk looked at my card and said 'no.'

My Starting Score: EQ: 691 (11/30/11) TU98: 726 (11/30/11)
My Current Score: EQ: 779 (04/22/13) TU08: 835 (06/03/13)
DW Starting Score: EQ: 742 (03/02/12) TU98: 748 (03/02/12)
DW Current Score: EQ: 784 (03/11/13) TU08: 775 (06/03/13)
Message 4 of 7
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@pakman92 wrote:

@scenery_guy wrote:

@pakman92 wrote:

You are quite right, there is no cache in pulling out the gold card.  But, I was trying to negotiate a better rate at holiday inn when I got stranded due to missed flight, the hotel clerk looked at my card and said 'no.'

LOL at least we can chuckle when we pull out our near useless plastic!

Message 5 of 7
HiLine
Blogger

@pakman92 wrote:

@scenery_guy wrote:

@pakman92 wrote:

Hmmm, what kind of cards would have turned that into a 'yes'?

Message 6 of 7
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

Hmmm, what kind of cards would have turned that into a 'yes'?

A business card stating "SVP Human Resources, Holiday Inns..."

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.