Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just got AF notice from BoA

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just got AF notice from BoA

I have BankAmericard Platinum Plus Visa card. It started as a secured one and one month ago automaticly converted to an unsecured one.

I just got AF noitice from them.

My credit score is above 700 now, so I do have some good no AF options but since it's my first card I do not want to close it to keep the credit history.

Anyone has excpirience with similar situations? What can I do to avoid the AF and still keep the card? I feel like a hostage of BoA because if I want to keep the (good) credit history I have to pay them the AF(?)

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
slicemans
Regular Contributor

Re: Just got AF notice from BoA

You call them to remove it. I had to chat  5 times to remove mine.

Message 2 of 15
happypill
Valued Contributor

If it unsecured last month, does that mean its been open one year + one month?  If that's the case, defintiely not worth paying AF to keep open if you have other better no AF cards.  If it's like 10 years older than anything esle you have, then it might be worth considering, but the best course of action would be to just call and get the AF removed.

Message 3 of 15
red259
Super Contributor

First call to see if you can get an AF waiver. Beyond that there is not enough information to advise you. Questions arise about how many other cards you have? How old are your cards? What are the credit lines? Depending on your answers closing this account may not be a big deal at all. I wouldn't pay an AF on the card just because it was your first card, but more information is required. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 4 of 15
newhis
Valued Contributor

I had to chat, secure mail and call 3 times until I found someone willing to remove the AF. My secured card was Cash Rewards (converted after 1 week from regular secured card to cash rewards secured card).

DW was able to call 1 time, ask for lower APR (lowered from 20.24% to 14.9%) then asked for AF removal, and they said 'let me check'...'no problem'.

Also you can call and ask PC to Cash Rewards or Travel Rewards.

Good luck.

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also had a BankAmericard Platinum Plus Visa card that added an annual fee. Earlier this year I did a product change to the Bank of America cash rewards card with no annual fee.

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

BofA dropped mine when it went unsecured. Good luck!

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have the phone number of the department you called?

Message 8 of 15
slicemans
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You cant PC anymore due to people abusing the system. 

Message 9 of 15
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

There is a post in the forum that list 'backdoor numbers', call the regular analyst or the senior analyst for BoA. Sometimes you need to call several times. Good luck.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.