Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just got a Barclay Travelocity AMEX through backdoor

tag
charyot77
Regular Contributor

Just got a Barclay Travelocity AMEX through backdoor

Hi all - just wanted to share my experiences.

After being denied a real AMEX for that pesky judgment - I thought I would try for another prime lender that was easier on past mistakes.

I applied for the Barclay Travelocity AMEX (I live abroad so I travel a bit) and got the 7-10 days processing message. I waited about 36 hours and after reading posts on this forum decided to give the credit analyst a call. I spoke to a nice girl who just asked me to verify my info (employment and annual income).

Then she put me on hold while she looked at my credit report.  She asked me to explain the charge off (which is now the default judgment) and I told her about the situation.  Then she said I had a few other small delinquencies that were a few years old and I explained about those.

She then immediately approved me for the card! My limit will initially only be $500. She told me to establish a payment history with them for 3-6 months to get a bigger credit line.  I'm actually not upset about the small limit (though I wont be buying many tickets for now I guess!) and the best part is the card has NO ANNUAL FEE!

I think this is my first prime lender approval in almost 15 years (if Barclay is able to remain a prime lender, they've been approving a lot of people lately) and I was really surprised that they approved me with a big baddie (default judgment from 2010) on my report.  

My scores are all FAKOS (creditkeeper) but I'll share:

EQ: 666 Smiley Surprised

EX: 691

TU: 657

Can't wait to cut up those Orchard Bank Cards next year!  I remember how smug the customer service person was when I complained about originally being offered an Orchard Bank card with no annual fee and then being sent an "upgrade" (2% cash back reward) that came with a huge $59 annual fee.  She pretty much said "we'll drop the fee to $39 - take it or leave it" and she wasn't that polite about it!  Smiley Mad

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
CS800
Super Contributor

Re: Just got a Barclay Travelocity AMEX through backdoor

Congrats !!

Get your history with them and they will treat you well Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 7
john398
Senior Contributor

@charyot77 wrote:

After being denied a real AMEX for that pesky judgment - I thought I would try for another prime lender that was easier on past mistakes.

I applied for the Barclay Travelocity AMEX (I live abroad so I travel a bit) and got the 7-10 days processing message. I waited about 36 hours and after reading posts on this forum decided to give the credit analyst a call. I spoke to a nice girl who just asked me to verify my info (employment and annual income).

Then she put me on hold while she looked at my credit report.  She asked me to explain the charge off (which is now the default judgment) and I told her about the situation.  Then she said I had a few other small delinquencies that were a few years old and I explained about those.

She then immediately approved me for the card! My limit will initially only be $500. She told me to establish a payment history with them for 3-6 months to get a bigger credit line.  I'm actually not upset about the small limit (though I wont be buying many tickets for now I guess!) and the best part is the card has NO ANNUAL FEE!

I think this is my first prime lender approval in almost 15 years (if Barclay is able to remain a prime lender, they've been approving a lot of people lately) and I was really surprised that they approved me with a big baddie (default judgment from 2010) on my report.  

Can't wait to cut up those Orchard Bank Cards next year!  I remember how smug the customer service person was when I complained about originally being offered an Orchard Bank card with no annual fee and then being sent an "upgrade" (2% cash back reward) that came with a huge $59 annual fee.  She pretty much said "we'll drop the fee to $39 - take it or leave it" and she wasn't that polite about it!  Smiley Mad

LOL is that like saying  I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member when you say they been approving a lot of people lately, I think you can say the same thing about Chase

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

$500 is too low for this card as it's intended for travel purchase from travelocity. And for international flight, it could cost up to $1700 for coach. You should recon to match highest TL on your credit report even if that means another hard pull but I think It worths it. I too got $1000 CL and I recon it to $3000 to match other TL and my reasoning for CLi is I will purchase international flight for 2 which could cost $2300 so I need $3000.
Message 4 of 7
charyot77
Regular Contributor

@john398 wrote:

@charyot77 wrote:

LOL is that like saying  I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member when you say they been approving a lot of people lately, I think you can say the same thing about Chase

It's exactly what I mean! With my credit profile, I dont think I 'm quite ready for "prime time". Smiley Happy 

The card might as well be a subprime card - it has 24.99% interest!!! Man Mad  Guess I'll be using this like a real AMEX charge card and PIF every month.

Message 5 of 7
mAndrew1980
Established Contributor

Congrats on the recon! I want the Travelocity Amex but I just got the Barclay's Apple card last week. Don't want them to close it for adding too many new accounts!

Transunion: 713 FICO (5/13/2014) MyFico
Experian: 789 FICO (4/10/12) Lender Pull
Equifax: 695 FICO (1/10/14) MyFico

My cards: Chase United Mileage Plus 7000CL (3/12), CITI Simplicity 1800CL (9/12), Cap1 Platinum 1000CL (2/10), Cap1 Cash back 1500CL (11/11), Apple Barclay's 2500CL (11/11), Discover IT 6000CL (5/13)

My Primary Financial Goal is to put down my utl%.

Message 6 of 7
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Congrats! Barclay's has been very nice to me so far. Their CS is night and day, compared with Cap One. Smiley Surprised I think you should listen to what the rep said and try for a CLI in 6 mos. It w/be a hard hit, but worth it (I think.) Personally, I wouldn't recon for a higher CL right now. With all the baddies you have, I'd just be glad you got approved and not make any waves. (IMO)

Enjoy your new Amex! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.