cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just got a Macys card, have a few questions.

tag
Royalbacon
Frequent Contributor

Just got a Macys card, have a few questions.

I just got approved for a Macys card with a $300 limit. Now my question is do they automatically upgrade to the Amex card after a while? I had a JCP card a few years back with also a $300 limit, then it got upgraded to $900, then to a JCP MasterCard with a $3000 limit, then it increased to $4000 after a year. And I hardly ever used that card or even shopped at JCP. Does Macys do the same? And how is the store Amex different then a regular Amex? Do you still get to participate in the Amex rewards or anything or is it just running on the Amex network and it basically means nothing? I already got an Amex everyday card with a $2000 limit, which I love. I use it as cash, pay in full every month (I know on these forums how people say Amex hates people carrying a balance lol) and get the Amex rewards points, it is awesome.

I just got the Macys card to buy clothes or whatever a few times out of the year then I will automatically pay it in full each time I use it, and just to have another card to diversify my portfolio and  an additional line of credit on my report. And if they do randomly upgrade me at some point, can I reject the upgrade and just stick to my regular plain old Macys Card and not the Amex? And how does that affect your credit or is it a good idea if it is possible to reject an upgrade? Because (as of right now at least) I am hoping it just stays as a regular Macys card and they don't do an automatic upgrade at somepoint, or if they do I can deny it. Unless I change my mind in the future.

Thank you, sorry my question screams newb and I'm not using correct terminology lol.

Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Filed-September 2020 Discharged-December 2020
Kohl's Credit Card $3000 Limit (Opened October 2016) Survived Bankruptcy for whatever reason
Closed Capital One Venture One $3000 Limit (Opened December 2020, Closed by me September 2022 since I wanted the SavorOne and couldn't product change to it)
Capital One Auto Loan (Opened March 2021)
Capital One Cabela's $5000 Limit (Opened December 2021)
America First Credit Union Visa $1000 Limit (Opened December 2021)
Capital One SavorOne $5000 Limit (Opened September 2022)
Sam's Club Mastercard Synchrony Bank $2500 Limit (Opened March 30 2023) (Burned Synchrony in my CH7 BK, One card with a $745 balance)
Idaho Central Credit Union ICCU Visa $10,000 Limit (Opened April 2023)
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Just got a Macys card, have a few questions.

The Macys store card does not automatically upgrade to the Macy's Amex.  You will have to put in a request for an upgrade.  Also, the Amex version of the card just runs on the Amex network and you don't get 3xCLI as you get with a normal Amex card.

The different between the store and the Amex version is that, the store card is only used in the store whilst the Amex can be used to shop anyone outside of Macy's.

Message 2 of 7
Royalbacon
Frequent Contributor

Awesome! Thank you, don't want them to just automatically upgrade out of the blue like JCP randomly upgraded me to their Mastercard, all I want is just a plain old Macy's store card and want it to stay that way. If I ever change my mind then I want to request the upgrade myself, not just have them randomly give me it and send it to me to replace my regular Macy's card.

Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Filed-September 2020 Discharged-December 2020
Kohl's Credit Card $3000 Limit (Opened October 2016) Survived Bankruptcy for whatever reason
Closed Capital One Venture One $3000 Limit (Opened December 2020, Closed by me September 2022 since I wanted the SavorOne and couldn't product change to it)
Capital One Auto Loan (Opened March 2021)
Capital One Cabela's $5000 Limit (Opened December 2021)
America First Credit Union Visa $1000 Limit (Opened December 2021)
Capital One SavorOne $5000 Limit (Opened September 2022)
Sam's Club Mastercard Synchrony Bank $2500 Limit (Opened March 30 2023) (Burned Synchrony in my CH7 BK, One card with a $745 balance)
Idaho Central Credit Union ICCU Visa $10,000 Limit (Opened April 2023)
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Royalbacon wrote:

Awesome! Thank you, don't want them to just automatically upgrade out of the blue like JCP randomly upgraded me to their Mastercard, all I want is just a plain old Macy's store card and want it to stay that way. If I ever change my mind then I want to request the upgrade myself, not just have them randomly give me it and send it to me to replace my regular Macy's card.

Oh, Ok.  Then you should be fine.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anyone know what the minimum limit people are getting when they get Amex? My Macy's… only used it once 500 limit obviously that doesn't look like a candidate for high spend/repeat business. I know the sneaky way early this year was to shop for mattress get a line of credit for furniture and then it becomes an American Express combined but I just bought a new bed, Sol there
Message 5 of 7
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
Does anyone know what the minimum limit people are getting when they get Amex? My Macy's… only used it once 500 limit obviously that doesn't look like a candidate for high spend/repeat business. I know the sneaky way early this year was to shop for mattress get a line of credit for furniture and then it becomes an American Express combined but I just bought a new bed, Sol there

+1

That's an excellent question... I'm subscribing to this thread hoping somebody will have the answer.

I don't have a Macy's; in a way it's 'their fault'... LOL.  I know they offer a 20% discount the day the account is opened, and I know at some point in the future I'll want to get a mattress.  Logically it would make sense to wait until then to open an account.  I might miss out on some promos between now and then, but I doubt whatever I miss will be more than getting 20% off a mattress... LOL

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

00Re: Just got a Macys card, have a few questions.

I had a Macy's store card with a 600$ limit, but I was just instantly approved for a bloomies amex so I figured I'd request the upgrade to macy's amex. I also requested a cli via chat on my Macy's card and they bumped it to $1000. I figure since Amex offers cards with a $1000 limit this might bode well for the upgrade.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.