Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just got an invite to final credit card. 1% card

tag
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: Just got an invite to final credit card. 1% card

I am with LTL on this one, why would you pay fifty bucks a year so the bank has less potential fraud costs?
For the bank it seems like a great idea, less fraud cost and the consumer pays you for it. But from the consumer side......
Message 21 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Me myself I like the AF on my cards because They don't get cancelled/closed for non use. 👍
Message 22 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Me myself I like the AF on my cards because They don't get cancelled/closed for non use. 👍
This is silly...you are paying money for no reason when most cards won't even be closed unless they are like 12-18 months inactive. There are much much better ways to secure your profile with more credit limits than doing this card. Literally any other card without an AF would be better for that purpose.
Message 23 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not 100% sure, but this sounds like what my Samsung Pay app does on the fly with whatever card you use.  It generates a one-time use number that goes through the merchant computer:  the merchant gets an approved signal and the money goes on your card.  However, at no point does the merchant have your number or card info.

Those nifty devices that attach to the swipe part or the chip readers get nothing but a one-time use number.

Message 24 of 38
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not 100% sure, but this sounds like what my Samsung Pay app does on the fly with whatever card you use.  It generates a one-time use number that goes through the merchant computer:  the merchant gets an approved signal and the money goes on your card.  However, at no point does the merchant have your number or card info.

Those nifty devices that attach to the swipe part or the chip readers get nothing but a one-time use number.

Yes, with an "approved" card, any of Samsung, Apple or Android uses a tokenized system that doesn't give the merchant a number.  However, currently these can't be used much online whereas cards like this (and others like Citi with Virtual numbers) are only for online.  As the other payment systems expand online options, the AF on this card will be even less justified.

Message 25 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok update: as stated above I was approved for 5000 SL. Got the email confirmation and just logged into the site and it is active showing account and available credit. I am curious because I have no HP anywhere? I have 3 different monitors and nothing.........anyone?
Message 26 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 27 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

While the rewards are not great, the AF is high I can see a purpose for this card. If you do a lot of shopping online it would be an extra security feature. I read Citi and BoA also has this feature, but I guess there may be extra steps to utilize it. 18% is not horrible so that is okay. Each of us has a different way we use our cards, some may find this useful, others won't. 

Message 28 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update: just got the alert on the inquiry. It came across as an inquiry for Installment Loan. Well this should be interesting.

Message 29 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

While the rewards are not great, the AF is high I can see a purpose for this card. If you do a lot of shopping online it would be an extra security feature. I read Citi and BoA also has this feature, but I guess there may be extra steps to utilize it. 18% is not horrible so that is okay. Each of us has a different way we use our cards, some may find this useful, others won't. 

I used to use BofA shopsafe quite religiously for online transactions, even ones from reputable vendors. Then I came to the realization fraud on the merchant's part is exceedingly rare, and in those cases I could simply dispute. It became way much more of a hassle to have to constantly be shepherding my ShopSafe numbers, keeping track in a table which ones were active, which ones were inactive, so forth.

Message 30 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.