cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just got denied for the Citi Forward card, why?

tag
Awesomely
Regular Contributor

Just got denied for the Citi Forward card, why?

- Your credit report shows too few credit references. 

- Your credit report shows that your accounts have a low credit limit.

What does the first reason mean and how long do I have to call back for a recon? My Discover card has a limit of $2,250, a Capital One card with a $500 limit and a Chase card with a $300. I just got approved for a Clear card with a $2,000 limit and have no idea when it is going to show on my credit reports. So am I screwed or should I just call back this week?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Just got denied for the Citi Forward card, why?

@Awesomely wrote:

- Your credit report shows too few credit references. 

- Your credit report shows that your accounts have a low credit limit.

What does the first reason mean and how long do I have to call back for a recon? My Discover card has a limit of $2,250, a Capital One card with a $500 limit and a Chase card with a $300. I just got approved for a Clear card with a $2,000 limit and have no idea when it is going to show on my credit reports. So am I screwed or should I just call back this week?

The first reason is a reference to "thin credit"-- too few tradelines, or, the history on the existing tradelines is too new/short. Now, what any particular lender considers to be "too few credit references" varies.

Are all, or most of your cards newish? How many INQs do you have, under 1 year old? The answer to these questions might help you decide whether or not a recon attempt will be successful with Citi. There's some evidence to suggest that they're INQ & new account weary. On the other hand, once you've taken an INQ, the conventional wisdom is to recon the denial, unless another hard INQ is likely, and success is highly unlikely.

Message 2 of 8
Awesomely
Regular Contributor

Yes I think it may be because of the inquiries, I had two or three on Experian before I applied so that might be why.

Message 3 of 8
tsquad131
Frequent Contributor

citi is very picky on inquiries in a 6 month period, they denied me because i had 6 inquiries in 6 months

amazon
Message 4 of 8
mahendra82
Contributor

I had an insane number of inq and new accounts over a 6 month period, and they still approved me with a starting CL of 4k. 

Message 5 of 8
mahendra82
Contributor

I do bank with them (both savings and checking) so this might have helped. 

Message 6 of 8
lenz99
New Contributor

Definitely call for recon, I see ppl without any credit history get forward card as the first cc so you should have a much better chance.

Message 7 of 8
Awesomely
Regular Contributor

I definitely will call tomorrow, if it's for too many inquiries I will understand.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.