Regular Contributor
Awesomely

Just got denied for the Citi Forward card, why?

- Your credit report shows too few credit references. 

- Your credit report shows that your accounts have a low credit limit.

What does the first reason mean and how long do I have to call back for a recon? My Discover card has a limit of $2,250, a Capital One card with a $500 limit and a Chase card with a $300. I just got approved for a Clear card with a $2,000 limit and have no idea when it is going to show on my credit reports. So am I screwed or should I just call back this week?

Moderator Emerita
LilMirth

Re: Just got denied for the Citi Forward card, why?

Awesomely wrote:

- Your credit report shows too few credit references. 

- Your credit report shows that your accounts have a low credit limit.

What does the first reason mean and how long do I have to call back for a recon? My Discover card has a limit of $2,250, a Capital One card with a $500 limit and a Chase card with a $300. I just got approved for a Clear card with a $2,000 limit and have no idea when it is going to show on my credit reports. So am I screwed or should I just call back this week?

The first reason is a reference to "thin credit"-- too few tradelines, or, the history on the existing tradelines is too new/short. Now, what any particular lender considers to be "too few credit references" varies.

Are all, or most of your cards newish? How many INQs do you have, under 1 year old? The answer to these questions might help you decide whether or not a recon attempt will be successful with Citi. There's some evidence to suggest that they're INQ & new account weary. On the other hand, once you've taken an INQ, the conventional wisdom is to recon the denial, unless another hard INQ is likely, and success is highly unlikely.

-------------------------------------------

Friendly, Supportive & Respectful

Understanding Your FICO Score  |  Credit Scoring 101  |  Common Abbreviations  |  FTC: FCRA Links  |  FTC: FDCPA Links  |  Opt-Out  |  State Resources

"However gradual may be the growth of confidence, that of credit requires still more time to arrive at maturity” ~ Benjamin Disraeli

Regular Contributor
Awesomely

Yes I think it may be because of the inquiries, I had two or three on Experian before I applied so that might be why.

Frequent Contributor
tsquad131

citi is very picky on inquiries in a 6 month period, they denied me because i had 6 inquiries in 6 months

FICO scores - 727 TU(Walmart)/ 727 EX(Amex app)/ 721 EQ(Discover app)
In My Wallet: BankAmericard Cash Rewards($2,000), Discover More($3,000), Chase Freedom($2,000), Fidelity Amex($1,000), Sam's Club Discover($4,400), SallieMae 5% Mastercard($5,000), Amex BCE($2,000) ,Citi Simplicity($2,000), Paypal SmartConnect($3,100), Walmart Store Card($2,350), Chase Amazon Visa($700), Target RedCard($500), Capital One Cash Rewards($750), Best Buy Store Card($1,900), HHGregg($2,000), Amazon Store Card($1,250),Newegg Preferred Account($2,000), Park West($2,000), BankAmericard Travel Rewards($5,000)
Contributor
mahendra82

I had an insane number of inq and new accounts over a 6 month period, and they still approved me with a starting CL of 4k. 

Contributor
mahendra82

I do bank with them (both savings and checking) so this might have helped. 

Established Member
lenz99

Definitely call for recon, I see ppl without any credit history get forward card as the first cc so you should have a much better chance.

Regular Contributor
Awesomely

I definitely will call tomorrow, if it's for too many inquiries I will understand.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+