cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just got married ... about to apply for a credit card!

tag
oracles
Valued Contributor

Re: Just got married ... about to apply for a credit card!

I really would not recommend a joint account.

You receive the same fico treatment if you were just an AU on the card.

joint accounts, maybe not now, but in the future may cause so much trouble.

I think the easiest way is to just become an AU.

Please do a search on here to read about the pitfalls of having a joint account

Message 11 of 17
oracles
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

USbank has some great cards, and you can do joint right on the application, put her name first and you as co-applicant, it will process the application and approve based on her credit but the account will be jointly owned from the beginning.

they are one of the few banks that you can apply jointly at the same time as applying for the credit, vs like chase or citi, where you have to get the card and then request forms to be sent, fill them out and then get you added later. 

Hey CA

Whaty are some good US bank cards to get?

What is the easiest to get?

Which card gives you the mosst CL and often CLI?

Message 12 of 17
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Usbank requires 680 min across board for all there cards. if they are going to approve you, I think it's for anything you want, nothing is easier than the other.

Message 13 of 17
oracles
Valued Contributor

Which card gives you the best CL and most often CLI's?
Message 14 of 17
Mark_in_Pasadena
Regular Contributor

@notoriousrod wrote:
For the Citi PremierPass we have the option for putting me as an Authorized User, but does not ask for my SS#.  Will me being on the account help my score?

You can call Citi to add your SS# through a CSR over the phone, even if the online application doesn't ask.

Message 15 of 17
cobaltnv
Established Contributor

@oracles wrote:

I really would not recommend a joint account.

You receive the same fico treatment if you were just an AU on the card.

joint accounts, maybe not now, but in the future may cause so much trouble.

I think the easiest way is to just become an AU.

Please do a search on here to read about the pitfalls of having a joint account

I second Oracles statement. Joint accounts sound like a good idea at the time, but can cause lots of problems. For example, once an account is joint it is very difficult, and in many cases impossible, to remove either user. This means that if there is every trouble in paradise the account will have to be closed. I lost a couple of very good cc with nice ages when I got divorced. I am remarried and all our cards are in one name and we are AU and some of each others cards. This gave my DW my good history, yet still gives us freedom if things go south. I know it is not easy to think about such things being recently married, but I never thought my first marriage would end.
Congrats on your marriage--good luck! 

TU 810: EQ 813: EX 814 (9/16/09--Loan officer pull)

Helpful Threads
Frequently Requested Threads
Understanding your Fico Score
Message 16 of 17
cobaltnv
Established Contributor

Does your wife currently have any credit cards (with clean history and god age)? If so it would likely help your score greatly to get added as an AU  (this will have no impact on her scores). I would do this before you add any new cards as the higher your scores the better cards you will qualify for. Cards that wil grow with you and provide rewards (Chase, Discover, AMEX, BofA etc). As my post above states, I would still recommend you each get cards in your own name and use the AU feature. Be careful to only use AU on cards with clean history, otherwise you will likely do more harm than good. 

Cheers 

TU 810: EQ 813: EX 814 (9/16/09--Loan officer pull)

Helpful Threads
Frequently Requested Threads
Understanding your Fico Score
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.