cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just got offered to upgrade my Green AMEX to PRG or Platinum?

tag
dodfire
Valued Contributor

Re: Just got offered to upgrade my Green AMEX to PRG or Platinum?

@CardsLifeLine wrote:
There is no such rule of 13 months .. I have green card only for a months and I can see upgrade option being shown for gold and platinum. As we all know Amex runs SP on each customer based on certain eligibility criteria upgrade is displayed. Again good standing mode of account plays a vital role and ur spend ability as well matters.

I got the AMEX green charge card in February. From Day 1 there has been an option to upgrade on my page. I tried the upgrade and got the message not eligible. I then called the CSR and they advised me that there is in fact a rule in place and that I would have to keep the card 12 full months before I could upgrade.

*8/10/13
Message 21 of 30
withaspark
Contributor

See the CARD Act. It included language that has been interpretted by many (maybe all?) lenders that they cannot increase fees on a TL within the first year even if the change is initiated and acceptable to the borrower--accept for a list of acceptable AA causes. It makes sense to not be able to solicit an application for credit for one set of terms and immediately increase fees...but there was no language in the bill that specifies it is acceptable if initiated by the borrower, so lenders are playing it safe.
Message 22 of 30
SuperKirby
Established Contributor

I know with Chase there is no hard pulls with PCs, same with Amex, correct? No hard pulls?

Message 23 of 30
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I just tried to UPGRADE my Delta Gold to a Delta Plata and it said I wasn't eligible. I assume it's bc if the 13 month rule. It have me a bonus offer and everything! Oh well...!m willing to pay a $150 af. Too bad Amex won't pc LOL...
Just weid-- why would we get upgrade offers if we arent eligible? Lame!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 24 of 30
SuperKirby
Established Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
I just tried to UPGRADE my Delta Gold to a Delta Plata and it said I wasn't eligible. I assume it's bc if the 13 month rule. It have me a bonus offer and everything! Oh well...!m willing to pay a $150 af. Too bad Amex won't pc LOL...
Just weid-- why would we get upgrade offers if we arent eligible? Lame!

It's just advertisment. Almost everyone gets that "upgrade card" link just to see they aren't eligible. Then you call in and they say u need to have the card for 12-13 months, THEN they say, "You can apply for a new account instead and get the bonus!". 

Just another way for Amex to get you to apply for new cards so they can make more money. 

Message 25 of 30
Open123
Super Contributor

Regarding the 13 month rule, Amex can and has circumvented it.  They upgraded my BCE to the BCP on the 9th month, but didn't start charging me a fee until about 3 months later; and, even then, for the pro-rated amount for the remaining 8 months.

Message 26 of 30
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

Regarding the 13 month rule, Amex can and has circumvented it.  They upgraded my BCE to the BCP on the 9th month, but didn't start charging me a fee until about 3 months later; and, even then, for the pro-rated amount for the remaining 8 months.

+1

I received an email offer about 6 months after getting the Business Gold Rewards to upgrade to Business Platinum. I followed the links and sure enough it was approved and my new card arrived in a couple of days. It's been my only PC and I would have never made the change but I would have needed to close my Gold and wait out 12 months before applying to receive the bonus offer on the Platinum. I valued the lounge access and SPG Gold perk more than the points at the time. Not sure how they worked around Card Act. My Gold fee was waived first year and they billed me for Platinum on second billing cycle in full. 

Message 27 of 30
withaspark
Contributor

@scenery_guy: the CARD Act protects consumers, it doesn't grant the same protections to business accounts so they were able simply pc it for you.

@open123: Very interesting!
Message 28 of 30
SuperKirby
Established Contributor

great info on here...

Message 29 of 30
Open123
Super Contributor

@withaspark wrote:
@Open123: Very interesting!

With Amex, it's almost always a "case by case" scenario.  For instance, I'm not sure how they determine "eligibility" for the Senior Green (it certainly isn't by age), but it seems some are eligible, and others are not.  

Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.