Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just got offered to 'upgrade' to Walmart Discover

tag
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Just got offered to 'upgrade' to Walmart Discover

In my case, it was a year difference in opening dates but I have a thick file so the additional TL didn't bother me.  Since I dreaded going into WalMart ( bought tires and eyeglasses last year) at least I can still use the card for items that I wouldn't get any rewards.  Currently, it's set up as my auto bill for AAA renewal.  

Message 21 of 29
Kraner
Established Member

Thanks for the help everyone.

I believe for now I'll just keep things as they are.

Message 22 of 29
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Lexie; so they do change the reporting but that's not nearly enough for me if they were to ever offer a transfer to switch.  The Wally card is arguably the most general purpose store card available, and depending on what strata you're shopping in might be just as useful as the majority of major transaction network cards.

I've sort of given up building the Wally card up after Amex exceeded my expectations, but from my viewpoint this looks like a raw deal getting a new tradeline for a card which I'd never use regardless given the current credit card market.  If you can get a transfer it's likely you can get a Discover or Freedom or even potentially an Amex, and frankly even the BOFA secured card is better than the Wally, as is the SDFCU one.... other than the things the store card is already good at (CLI chasing and FICO scoring plus fallback if I ever wind up shopping at Walmart for food to put on the table).

        
Message 23 of 29
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

Congrats on the upgrade 

Welcome to the forum

I don't want you to be confused having a Walmart Discover verison is not like having the 5% Discover card it just uses the Discover network.

You will still be able to see your Fico scores and it will not affect your AAoA 

They'll close the store card and issue the new account with the same open date as your old card 

MJ , that's a new TL and account #  to my understanding.

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 24 of 29
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

09 Lexie wrote: from another thread

I did a live chat with Walmart to answer some questions we've had posted and to ask about payments on my new account. I am attached the screenshot and I apologize that its blurry but it went from ipad to email to print to scan in order to delete personal information.

The jist of it is the following:

1. Until your account completely migrates over (1-2 billing cycles) pay the store card.  The Discover card ( if it looks like mine) still does not show a balance.
2. You can use your Discover card for purchases
3. The upgrade will not effect your credit report because I did not apply for a Discover card.  They will report it as transferred and the open the new card saving the history.

Edit:  removed scan- it was to blurry :smileyfrustrated:

So it won't be a new TL.... hummmmmmmmm

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 25 of 29
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

In my case, it was a year difference in opening dates but I have a thick file so the additional TL didn't bother me.  Since I dreaded going into WalMart ( bought tires and eyeglasses last year) at least I can still use the card for items that I wouldn't get any rewards.  Currently, it's set up as my auto bill for AAA renewal.  

So it is a new TL Smiley Frustrated

Message 26 of 29
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Wade64 wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

So it is a new TL Smiley Frustrated

Yes, new TL will report

Message 27 of 29
high_lander
Established Member

I just "upgraded" to this card and show two different accounts when I log onto the walmart site. The accounts have 2 different CLs. THe old walmart card has a 1400 limit and the Discover has a 2000 limit. Both accounts are now active.

Starting Score: 590
Current Score: TU 712 EQ 704 (both from myFICO)
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 28 of 29
Rebuilder82
New Visitor

I just took the invitation from the Walmart store card to the Discover on March 9. They Increased my Credit limit from 1500 to 2000. On March 19th they closed my store card and transferred the balance. I am in the process of rebuilding my credit and I opened the store card a little over a year ago with a 200 limit. I will lose a little on my AAO, but its a good way to get another credit card account without an inquiry. And credit cards do carry more weight in your credit score than store accounts because its harder to get them. Especially if your average credit limit is 2000 or greater.
Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.