Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just hit the Best Buy luv button

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Just hit the Best Buy luv button

Financial_Reinvention wrote:

Also, can everyone else CONFIRM that it is indeed a SOFT pull and not a hard pull?? I hope i didn't get a hard pull just because I didn't wait an extra 3 days for a CLI..  This is the store card again, not mastercard.

I'm never going to say that banks don't pull surprises, but every post I've read said that it's a soft, and it was on my store card as well.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 41 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Also, can everyone else CONFIRM that it is indeed a SOFT pull and not a hard pull?? I hope i didn't get a hard pull just because I didn't wait an extra 3 days for a CLI..  This is the store card again, not mastercard.

I intentionally waited to pull my husbands CR for today until after hitting the luv button - there is already a soft pull on there but no hard

Message 42 of 48
Too_much_debt
Valued Member

You can be pretty sure that it will be a soft only.  I would wait until at least the 6 month mark from when you opened the account.  You don't have to wait for six months after your recent denial.

I've hit the button twice with success each time.  The second time I was a little quick and was denied...waited the full six months and was rewarded with a move from $4100 to $8200.

TU 712; EQ 739; EX 736 -- As of 07/01/2015
Message 43 of 48
Want2BDebtFreeNow
New Contributor

No luv for me. Last CLI was about 1k a year ago, no inq's in 11 months on my CR. I have a CL of 3700 and a balance of 1850. Just made a payment of 900 3 months ago.
As of 11/14/2012 EQ: 672

5 inqs in the last year - October 25, 2012, July 05, 2012, July 03, 2012, June 18, 2012, February 16, 2012

(Report reads them as 3) Your applications for credit in the past year
3 inquiries

Last account opened June 2012

Average age of your accounts
6 years

Number of your accounts with a missed payment
0 accounts

Ratio of your revolving balances to your credit limits
82% (Ouch)
Message 44 of 48
valley_man0505
Established Contributor

I have the MC, not the store card, so I don't know if my experiences will apply.  I have called the number on the back of the card a few times to discuss CLI requests.  I was told that if the CLI is requested, it would be a hard pull.  It is only a soft if it results from an internal review.  HOWEVER, I think that luv button requests are not really treated as a "customer request".  I think the very existence of a luv button (I don't have one for my account) means that there is an internal review just waiting to happen as soon as you tell them to do it.

In other words, if you actually call and ask for an increase, it will likely trigger a hard pull.  If you have a luv button available, that would likely result in a soft.

One more valuable piece of advice--I called at the 6 month mark and was denied before they even did an inquiry.  I was told that they will not even consider a CLI until they see 12 months of payment history.  Not sure if this is just specific to my account or if this is just their rule in general now.  From what I have read on these boards in the past, people used to have luck at the 3 month mark and the 6 month mark, but perhaps they have changed their standards to 12 months now, given the current economic conditions.

Message 45 of 48
granny031350
Established Contributor

best buy has different tiers on their cards.  I have one with 600 limit and was told that that was the highest limit I could ever get.  Does anyone know if they "upgrade " to higher tiers?
Message 46 of 48
Paula0925
Established Member

This is very interesting!  So - if you have a credit card (bank or store) AND your balance is low or zero AND you hit the luv button AND get the increase, then your utilization will drop, correct?  Sounds like the BB store card is a soft pull.  Does anyone know if it's different (ie - a hard pull) for a bank card (assuming there's a luv button somewhere?) I have several accounts we've paid down to zero recently.  Would it make sense to try for an increase?
Message 47 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Paula0925 wrote:
This is very interesting!  So - if you have a credit card (bank or store) AND your balance is low or zero AND you hit the luv button AND get the increase, then your utilization will drop, correct?  Sounds like the BB store card is a soft pull.  Does anyone know if it's different (ie - a hard pull) for a bank card (assuming there's a luv button somewhere?) I have several accounts we've paid down to zero recently.  Would it make sense to try for an increase?

Well in my experience, BofA is a soft pull if you have the luv button. Chase is always a hard no matter what. 

Discover doesn't have a button online but if you call the automated system and go through the prompts I think it's option #5 and they offer you an option for CLI it's a soft. If the option is not there, then they aren't offering you a CLI. You could still ask, but that might be a hardpull. 

Message 48 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.