Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just joined NFCU

tag
jordanmedical
Established Contributor

Just joined NFCU

Should I apply for their CC? Will it default to the secured if I don't get approved? Would it help if I moved some of my DD over?

Here's my rundown because I heard they pull TU...

TU 6 baddies (1 FPB CO/Collection from 2007, 1 SL CO from early 2011, 1 CC with 4 lates a year ago from late last year, 2 medical collections, 1 SL Collection, Several fed student loans w/ 1-90 day late a year ago)

-late year had a job I had to sue for nonpaid wages which led to financial problems til I changed jobs at end of year

-Rebuilding with CapOne Cash: $1.5k, NFCU cashRewards $8.5K, NavCheck $5K, Wal-Mart: $1.1K, Sam's: $1.2K, Amazon: $1.9K, Apple Barclay: $3K, Haverty's: $1.5K, GE capital: $5K, Sears: $250(AU), PP MC:$1.5K, CareCredit:$3K (closed 1st home 05/08/13)
Starting Score: 492-TU04, 480-EX FICO V2, 467-EQ Beacon 5 (Via Mortgage PreQual March '12)
Current Score: EX,EQ,TU (lender pull): 652, 659, 689, Walmart TU FICO: 691 (05/13)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Re: Just joined NFCU

First off, they often pull EQ and have only pulled EQ for me. Sometimes they'll pull one to join and another to app. So, don't count on their pulling TU.

Second, you do have a lot of baddies, so not sure how you'd do. You don't necessarily need DD, but it does help if you move your checking over to them. Their thinking is that someone who is banking w/them is less likely to default on their CC than someone who just has a CC w/them.

I don't believe they counter w/secured, but not 100% sure. You could call and ask. They're open 24/7 and have good CS.

Good luck.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 2 of 26
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

they do not counter offer. for most people they pull tu for membership and eq for cc ymmv though but that is for most people. op i was in a similar situation as you 8 months ago when i joined and wanted to start a cc with them. i apped for cashrewards and was denied and hoping they could use the same pull to get my nrewards secured card started. no go 2 hp's for that one. what i did after that was cleaned up my reports. now i only have one small baddie due to fall off early next year and said the heck with it and apped again for their platinum card and was approved.

several csr's i spoke to in card services said they just looked at my payment history with the secured card to make the decision that they really didnt mind the baddie. yes having dd helps but there are several people here who have high limits with them and dont bank with them.

most people who join then move dd over right away usually get a pre approved offer in the my offers tab but in your case you havent yet. if you want a card right now then i would suggest doing the nrewards secured which is secured through your savings (500) min. and you can increase the limit whenever you want as long as the funds are in savings.  nfcu is simply the best hands down they will be the first to give you your high limit and are extremely friendly and the 24 support is a big help.

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 3 of 26
jordanmedical
Established Contributor

My EQ is better: it has 1 medical collection, 1 CO/collection with fpb, 1 regular collection, CO private sl, sl installments with 1 late, 1 cc with lates from last year). Also haven't seen a pull yet for joining. I'm still working on getting these fixed but I have come along way since march. I'm opted out so don't know if I'd get preapproval offers.
-Rebuilding with CapOne Cash: $1.5k, NFCU cashRewards $8.5K, NavCheck $5K, Wal-Mart: $1.1K, Sam's: $1.2K, Amazon: $1.9K, Apple Barclay: $3K, Haverty's: $1.5K, GE capital: $5K, Sears: $250(AU), PP MC:$1.5K, CareCredit:$3K (closed 1st home 05/08/13)
Starting Score: 492-TU04, 480-EX FICO V2, 467-EQ Beacon 5 (Via Mortgage PreQual March '12)
Current Score: EX,EQ,TU (lender pull): 652, 659, 689, Walmart TU FICO: 691 (05/13)

Message 4 of 26
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

@jordanmedical wrote:
My EQ is better: it has 1 medical collection, 1 CO/collection with fpb, 1 regular collection, CO private sl, sl installments with 1 late, 1 cc with lates from last year). Also haven't seen a pull yet for joining. I'm still working on getting these fixed but I have come along way since march.

how is your eq better? your siggy shows it being 105 pts lower or maybe you havent updated it yet. if i were you i would suggest doing the secured card now if you want then focus on cleaning up reports. see if you can goodwill the lates then 6 months from now maybe apply for unsecured card or you can wait until a year hits with the secured card and get it graduated. nfcu has the best secured card with no annual fee and you get rewards for using it. do you have any other cc's open now in good standing? i see in your siggy tu walmart so i take it you have a walmart card? if you have any other cards how long have you had them for?

Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

Message 5 of 26
jordanmedical
Established Contributor

No, I haven't updated the FICO and have had over 7 baddies removed since then I last pulled it. The walmart card is closed and paid off. I do have some disputes and GW s pending but I know a card will help my score faster as I have no revolving credit at this time.

Message 6 of 26
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

NFCU is probabaly the best creditor out there now in terms of approvals and generous limits for rebuilders.   They will do another pull for a CC app, and will pull either EQ or TU.   

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 7 of 26
kjm79
Valued Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

NFCU is probabaly the best creditor out there now in terms of approvals and generous limits for rebuilders.   They will do another pull for a CC app, and will pull either EQ or TU.   

+1  They are forgiving of past mistakes and are very pull happy.  Personally, I'd get the scores/reports to look a little nicer, get some direct deposit going and wait a few months then app for the cc.  More than likely, they'd approve you now with a decent starting limit.  I think if you waited and put yourself in a better position you would net a cc with a higher starting limit. 

For example, my DH app'd for the cash rewards with some baddies when he opened his account.  Low 600's score at the time.  Was approved with a $1k limit.  After a few months of DD ($30/month) and the removal of some baddies, he asked for a CLI, approved for $5k.  Then he app'd for the nrewards card and was approved for $5k with mid 600 scores. 

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 8 of 26
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

I agree with the above posters they are very forgiving and are the best for rebuilding also

Message 9 of 26
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

@kjm79 wrote:

@pizzadude wrote:

+1  They are forgiving of past mistakes and are very pull happy.  Personally, I'd get the scores/reports to look a little nicer, get some direct deposit going and wait a few months then app for the cc.  More than likely, they'd approve you now with a decent starting limit.  I think if you waited and put yourself in a better position you would net a cc with a higher starting limit. 

For example, my DH app'd for the cash rewards with some baddies when he opened his account.  Low 600's score at the time.  Was approved with a $1k limit.  After a few months of DD ($30/month) and the removal of some baddies, he asked for a CLI, approved for $5k.  Then he app'd for the nrewards card and was approved for $5k with mid 600 scores. 

they gave DH to 5k lines of credit with mid 600 scores? doesnt surprise me congrats those are nice limits. I have the platinum no rewards low apr and nrewards ill ask them for some luv in 6 mosSmiley Happy

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.