cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just joined USAA - what's worth going for?

tag
CreditMENA
New Contributor

Just joined USAA - what's worth going for?

Hey all,

I was recently grandfathered into USAA as a full member. Out of your experiences, what products are worth pursuing? I have my car insurance with State Farm but wouldn't mind moving it to USAA to get a relationship started...I do my direct deposit/checking with NavyFed and I plan to keep it there...my main CC is my CSP - should I go for the USAA AMEX for snits and giggles? 

any advice/input would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
navyox
Regular Contributor

Re: Just joined USAA - what's worth going for?

I have a love (mostly)/hate with USAA lately.   I do car insurance and my primary banking through them.   I have a World MC through them, with what is by far highest CL, and they were good enough to not lower it or raise my APR when others were in 2008

Without doing your primary banking there they may be stingier with CLs though.   Their rewards program is very average though, absolutely nothing to write home about.   I would say the biggest utility for me was a high enough CL to get the attention of some higher end cards

Starting Score: 676 CK 5/13. Current: 717 EX 6/15 -- Last App: 6/2014
Message 2 of 16
navyox
Regular Contributor

Oh, and despite what I said about USAA Membership Rewards being average it is still better than their other option, Cash Rewards.   The % cash back is based on spending and you would really have to put a lot of spending through to make it worth it and I can't imagine you wouldn't get better rewards for the same spending on another card.

Starting Score: 676 CK 5/13. Current: 717 EX 6/15 -- Last App: 6/2014
Message 3 of 16
Slab
Frequent Contributor

I've had good service with USAA. Their rewards aren't that great but I have a World Mastercard that has 12 mos 0% and 6.90 thereafter. I think they are advertising the same card right now on their website. Good luck. Their Ins rates are pretty good also with great customer service.

Equifax FICO 781, Transunion FICO 821, Experian FICO 807,

810 goal on all three by 3-1-2015
Message 4 of 16
Dustink
Valued Contributor

New car?

They have decent auto loans and a nice layout for car buying.

Credit cards aren't great.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 5 of 16
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

Just like navyox has pointed out, their USAA Rewards Program is slightly better than their Cash Rewards. Since you are also a member of NFCU, I think Navy Fed's cashRewards Card is better than USAA's credit cards in general. But USAA Amex gives you 2% of gas & groceries. When it comes to customer service, I think USAA & NFCU are neck and neck.

Message 6 of 16
Poki
Valued Member

I would look into their insurance products; although, rules and regulations vary from state-to-state, so YMMV. Some people report saving money by switching away from USAA, others save a chunk; when I lived in the Philadelphia area (suburbs) I saved a good amount of money on my insurance. Philly at the time had the second highest premium costs in the country.

Used Car purchasing, you can do better shopping elsewhere.

Do you ever rent a car? Would you ever rent a car in an emergency? With USAA you get a discount, no underage fee, no additional driver fee, "loss of use" fees are waived, and some other rental car coverage features - although you will need to use your USAA credit card for booking

"Neither a Borrower Nor a Lender Be"
Message 7 of 16
Exonumist
Established Contributor

@Poki wrote:

I would look into their insurance products; although, rules and regulations vary from state-to-state, so YMMV. Some people report saving money by switching away from USAA, others save a chunk; when I lived in the Philadelphia area (suburbs) I saved a good amount of money on my insurance. Philly at the time had the second highest premium costs in the country.

Used Car purchasing, you can do better shopping elsewhere.

Do you ever rent a car? Would you ever rent a car in an emergency? With USAA you get a discount, no underage fee, no additional driver fee, "loss of use" fees are waived, and some other rental car coverage features - although you will need to use your USAA credit card for booking

How exactly do the car rental benefits work? Which cards do they apply to? I'm only 23 and I can't stand the underage fees. They are ridiculous when your driving record is spotless. I have a full membership, but no products with USAA right now. Their insurance just costs too much compared to Geico. 

Message 8 of 16
Poki
Valued Member

@D-Wall wrote:

How exactly do the car rental benefits work? Which cards do they apply to? I'm only 23 and I can't stand the underage fees. They are ridiculous when your driving record is spotless. I have a full membership, but no products with USAA right now. Their insurance just costs too much compared to Geico. 

Oh, I'm sorry I was mistaken. They are membership benefits, and do not require use of a USAA CC. I believe at one time you had to use a USAA credit card, but I'm mistaken. No need to have USAA insurance product(s) with theme, although their could be a benefit there in the unfortunate case of damages/loss of rental car.

You will need the Discount Code for the rental agencie; you can find out a little more here: https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/rental_cars_main 

"No Additional Driver Fees for spouses and USAA members"

Young driver fee "Waived for 21 to 24 year olds"

Loss of use fee waived

Loss or damage to a rental: "The member is responsible for the first $5,000 of damage to a rental vehicle." Hey, at least you don't have to buy the whole car Smiley LOL

"Neither a Borrower Nor a Lender Be"
Message 9 of 16
Exonumist
Established Contributor

That is awesome! I had no idea. That combined with my insurance and using a visa to pay for the rental is plenty of coverage. Thank you! You just saved me a ton of money!

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.