cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just joined a credit union, I'm considering closing my bank cards and applying for a CC with my CU

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just joined a credit union, I'm considering closing my bank cards and applying for a CC with my CU

Hey, I recently joined a credit union and am really enjoying the high savings and checkings interest rates and am attracted to the higher CL given on CC (35,000). I also have been reading more about the big bank bailouts and am not really happy with my taxpayer money going towards helping shareholders of big banks get richer while all they do is give me crap rates for loans etc. After being informed, I feel guilty for swiping my big banks CC so frequently the past year.. I like how the money my CU makes stays with the members in terms of lower interest and better rates for us (higher APY on savings etc). With that being said, a positive of being with a bank is the convenience of ATMs and branch locations.. My CU waives ATM fees, and branches are quite saturated in my area (def would be a problem if I move).. I compared my CU rates vs my former bank and I was dumbfounded at why people would bank with big banks still.. Is their something I'm missing?

Anyways, I want to end my  credit cards with big banks and thinking of opening up one with my CU. My CU offers a 123 cash back card which is nice, not as good as some of my other credit cards. However I just got some pretty good CC this year such as an amex costco (ill be keeping this), discover IT, bofa BBR, chase freedom... Would it be foolish of me to close these cards or should I just not use them? Ive had quite a few inquiries this year, my score took a shot from 780ish to low 700s since my AAoA is so low. All these cards were obtained in the last year so they're new. I've just had a recent change of heart reading all the bailout articles etc, Id rather support my CU than my big banks... Again, I'm young and I want to hear people's opinions on this decision. Is it foolish of me to close my cards, or should I just stop using them, or was joining a CU stupid? Smart? Yes ill miss my 5% back on gas for 1-2 quarters of a year but Id just rather keep my money local.. Pros and Cons of this decision? I love learning!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

Re: Just joined a credit union, I'm considering closing my bank cards and applying for a CC with my

Why close them? Just use them imo unless your one of those who love to protect Big banks lol 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 2 of 4
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

Re: Just joined a credit union, I'm considering closing my bank cards and applying for a CC with my

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey, I recently joined a credit union and am really enjoying the high savings and checkings interest rates and am attracted to the higher CL given on CC (35,000). I also have been reading more about the big bank bailouts and am not really happy with my taxpayer money going towards helping shareholders of big banks get richer while all they do is give me crap rates for loans etc. After being informed, I feel guilty for swiping my big banks CC so frequently the past year.. I like how the money my CU makes stays with the members in terms of lower interest and better rates for us (higher APY on savings etc). With that being said, a positive of being with a bank is the convenience of ATMs and branch locations.. My CU waives ATM fees, and branches are quite saturated in my area (def would be a problem if I move).. I compared my CU rates vs my former bank and I was dumbfounded at why people would bank with big banks still.. Is their something I'm missing?

Anyways, I want to end my  credit cards with big banks and thinking of opening up one with my CU. My CU offers a 123 cash back card which is nice, not as good as some of my other credit cards. However I just got some pretty good CC this year such as an amex costco (ill be keeping this), discover IT, bofa BBR, chase freedom... Would it be foolish of me to close these cards or should I just not use them? Ive had quite a few inquiries this year, my score took a shot from 780ish to low 700s since my AAoA is so low. All these cards were obtained in the last year so they're new. I've just had a recent change of heart reading all the bailout articles etc, Id rather support my CU than my big banks... Again, I'm young and I want to hear people's opinions on this decision. Is it foolish of me to close my cards, or should I just stop using them, or was joining a CU stupid? Smart? Yes ill miss my 5% back on gas for 1-2 quarters of a year but Id just rather keep my money local.. Pros and Cons of this decision? I love learning!

i am in a similar boat to you...i keep my chase account open just for the sake of it (been open for 12 years). my credit union cards destroy most any bank cards by far on interest rate but not on cash back. what i would suggest is using the higher cash back cards for their best feature and the cu cc's for everything else.....in my case 7.24 with 2.99 intro is pretty nice

Message 3 of 4
Hockeyplayrr
Frequent Contributor

If you are going to carry a  balance at all or just make a base rate purchase (not 5%) I'd use the credit union card.  Just try to maxamize what the big banks offer without giving them any more than swipe fees.

Credit Scores: Equifax - 744 (Oct FICO) | Experian 736(Oct Fico) | Transunion - 755(Oct Fico)

Credit Lines: Diners Club 20k | Penfed Plat Rewards 7k | SDFCU 5k | Amex BCE - 10.5k | Chase Freedom 4.5k | CSP - 10.6k | Discover IT - 9k | Sallie Mae 3.8k | BofA 123 - 4.9k | CITI Double Cash 9.1k | Total Rewards 3.25k
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.