cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just me or is American Express Stepping way back to a more basic line up...

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Just me or is American Express Stepping way back to a more basic line up...

I feel like Amex almost backed up to 1999 When the Blue first launched... Feel like that was only 2nd or so card that revolved at time and was first time MOST people KNEW you could even have that option on Amex... and still to this day I still hear people say "I don't have American Express because you have to pay it in full each month!"

But Lowes is gone, Zync is gone, 1 Tier out of of Delta is gone, Mercedes Charge Card is gone... Feel like im missing others that are gone too?

Is this all true or?? are they swapping people out to knew stuff or do you grandfathered in if you wish like the Platinum Optima from before Blue in 1999.

Also I thought they were taking away the 6% Grocery on Blue+... no?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Just me or is American Express Stepping way back to a more basic line up...

OMG Lowes is gone??!?  

Thats not fair Smiley SadSmiley SadSmiley Sad

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 19
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

The Cardat a glance

The Lowe's Business Rewards Card delivers rewards for your purchases at Lowe's and everywhere else American Express® Cards are accepted

• 3X Lowe's Business Rewards points at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. office supply stores, and on services from U.S. wireless telephone service providers, 2X points at Lowe's, 1X points on other purchases
  • Points are earned only on eligible purchases
  • Points can be redeemed for Lowe's Gift Card and American Express® Gift Cards

Lowes is still there silly!

FICO 9:

Message 3 of 19
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@webhopper wrote:
The Cardat a glance

The Lowe's Business Rewards Card delivers rewards for your purchases at Lowe's and everywhere else American Express® Cards are accepted

• 3X Lowe's Business Rewards points at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. office supply stores, and on services from U.S. wireless telephone service providers, 2X points at Lowe's, 1X points on other purchases

Sorry had only looked at "Personal" when I posted... maybe i was misthinking that it was "ever" offered as personal too!

I think it's a silly card overall unless a very cash flow positive contractor... I would think most would find it better to take the 0% terms on a contractor card while building, remodeling, flipping, whatever the business is then roll through a amex $100k+ and pay it as you go to get the nice rewards back!

Message 4 of 19
OptimasPrime
Frequent Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

I feel like Amex almost backed up to 1999 When the Blue first launched... Feel like that was only 2nd or so card that revolved at time and was first time MOST people KNEW you could even have that option on Amex... and still to this day I still hear people say "I don't have American Express because you have to pay it in full each month!"

But Lowes is gone, Zync is gone, 1 Tier out of of Delta is gone, Mercedes Charge Card is gone... Feel like im missing others that are gone too?

Is this all true or?? are they swapping people out to knew stuff or do you grandfathered in if you wish like the Platinum Optima from before Blue in 1999.

They didn't take away the 6% on the BCP, they just put a $6000 annual cap on it. Any purchases in excess of 6k only get 1 percent

EQ 778 | TU 776
Barclay US Airways WMC 7.5k | BCE 5.8k | BofA Travel Rewards 9.1k | Chase Marriott Premier 13k | Citi TYP WMC 6.5k | Freedom Visa Sig 8k| Discover it 10k
Message 5 of 19
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Creditaddict wrote:

@webhopper wrote:
The Cardat a glance

Sorry had only looked at "Personal" when I posted... maybe i was misthinking that it was "ever" offered as personal too!

I think it's a silly card overall unless a very cash flow positive contractor... I would think most would find it better to take the 0% terms on a contractor card while building, remodeling, flipping, whatever the business is then roll through a amex $100k+ and pay it as you go to get the nice rewards back!

I've never seen it offered as personal.  I was actually thinking about apping for Lowes Amex next year.  I'm glad it hasn't been cancelled.

I don't recall ever seeing it on personal. I used to have a GE backed lowes but they cancelled it w/ no warning.. so I will never get another GE backed lowes card.

FICO 9:

Message 6 of 19
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@OptimasPrime wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

They didn't take away the 6% on the BCP, they just put a $6000 annual cap on it. Any purchases in excess of 6k only get 1 percent

I mean it means the card is still worth it.. it out pays you any other options but does that include $6k Cap on 3% Category to or just Grocery?

it's good, it pays for itself but it certainly changes the run for the closest computer if you are the Duggers... Which they are Millionaires and kind of like Dave Ramsey (They sell the fact they do NOT use Credit Cards and only have Debit Cards but the thought of the rewards they are missing out on almost kills me!!! HAHA

but I guess it's kind of like someone having the Amex Black... I wouldn't pull out and swipe a Target Card just to save the 5% if I was a Amex Black Cardholder but could you imagine if you had that wealthy and if you CARED or could even spend the time to think of such thing the "games" you could play with the credit cards!!!!

I mean you would have to have an assistant just to track the caps, new cards, what not... 

I know im pretty much insane but I almost think it could be fun/funny... but again... you must likely would cost yourself millions trying to play the rewards game just with the time spent applying!!

Message 7 of 19
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I am a rental property owner..   my YTD spend at Lowes has been about $1500.

Maybe not enough to really get a dedicated Lowes card... but....   I think the lowes card is cool, and I've been playing with the idea of picking up a business card.

FICO 9:

Message 8 of 19
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I think so, and this new thing with Walmart definitely isn't helping their image.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 9 of 19
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Shogun wrote:

I think so, and this new thing with Walmart definitely isn't helping their image.

What thing with Wal mart?

FICO 9:

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.