cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just me or is American Express Stepping way back to a more basic line up...

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Just me or is American Express Stepping way back to a more basic line up...

@webhopper wrote:

@Shogun wrote:

I think so, and this new thing with Walmart definitely isn't helping their image.

What thing with Wal mart?

a pre-paid card...

I got the serve

but if you want ANY actual "Real" affiliation with Amex I would be getting the real amex Pre-Paid because they will "Monitor" and "May" offer you to apply for a charge card but does not mean you will be approved... but I think Amex is pretty on top of when they do something like that!

Maybe we have just become "MAD" about rewards... When I first started collecting "I mean applying" for credit cards at 18, I applied for everything, If I shopped and they had a card, I applied.. If I was in breathing range and they had a card, I don't care if I shopped, I would apply and shop to do so! lol

but besides my 10% for first purchase or what not it wasn't until the amex that I thought it was a bigger better image to slap something down "besides" the store card if that's were i was... i mean structure... thinking if they were kind of first to start changing to multi tiers for spending more... I was 18 or 19 at that point and being one of the first to have  a color changing card THAT WAS THE IMAGE to pull out!

Now I just get mad at the idea of how "easy" it is to hit those levels.

I mean it's barely in my view but I think I was 15 or 16 because it was my first card through my parents so i started paying attention (Gold USAirways) also one of the first cards I remember that came out with "Invitations" to "call to see about moving  to Platinum... I snatched that up and was on the phone in seconds which of course then required my mom to get on to verify but the lady was like... "You can't just upgrade, you have to qualify!" Which also got me to snap back "I think a Cardholder with a $18k limit what ever it was at that point WILL QUALIFY, Why don't you go check!

and of course did have to come back and tell us the great news of the upgrade!

My parents had other cards but USAir was IT until Capital One (The Blue Travel One) they use to have... USAir was like 18/22% I don't know but that was about the time (after 1998) that interest rates started being WAY lower on cards, and Im not even sure what bank use to handle the USAir but they would not move my moms rate and for some reason she didn't just toss in drawer since I think they had that since I was born practically! she closed it! something that mattered not one bit but once you start seeing what's out from others, you have to have that with current or why have current! im long time customer if you don't see the point then im going to be long time customer with someone else... but didn't we then just become VERY short term customers!??

Some is probably cost associated especially when thinking Macy's and 4 colors, Express and 3, Victoria Secret and 3 colors, think Saks had or stil has 4 (that cost is worth it!)

I think Neiman Marcus discontinued any of the color cards they use to offer unless it's still kind of like the black to get platinum and it's not offered or talked about just comes if you make it ($100k) way back when.

are we more obsessed with 0% and 9.9% after 0% and 3% gas to care about colors or levels and really a lot of those store card levels didn't get me more rewards, just got me the level to show when i whipped it out that I had spent that much... which only helped in Marhsall Fields and the $4k, and $6k levels... Nordstrom in beginning for Signature (use to require 760 score, $8k or $10k limit?) not sure if anything else.... now it's the only visa right?

Message 11 of 19
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Which tier from Delta card is gone?

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 19
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I was thinking they use to have a free one for short time or below gold, then when they introduced reserve i think they made gold lowest or maybe just another crazy thought!

Message 13 of 19
cardslayer
Regular Contributor

Actually, nothing but the Zync is gone. The MB Plat Charge was never in their main line-up, you had to app through the MB Financial services website directly (I have this card). There is and always has been a direct link, however  here

The Delta you are referring to, did exist. But I never saw it on their line-up. Not sure if it still exists. I think you app for one of the other ones and tell them you want the no-fee one. Not sure how that works. the BCP has implemented a cap, however as stated earlier in this thread, for $6k @ 6% for groceries. Sucks for those of us familiar with the exploits of this card Smiley Tongue

Message 14 of 19
logan_720
Established Contributor

@cardslayer wrote:

Actually, nothing but the Zync is gone. The MB Plat Charge was never in their main line-up, you had to app through the MB Financial services website directly (I have this card). There is and always has been a direct link, however  here

@Anonymous Delta you are referring to, did exist. But I never saw it on their line-up. Not sure if it still exists. I think you app for one of the other ones and tell them you want the no-fee one. Not sure how that works. the BCP has implemented a cap, however as stated earlier in this thread, for $6k @ 6% for groceries. Sucks for those of us familiar with the exploits of this card Smiley Tongue

Yes, the Mercedes card was on their list of cards, I remember viewing it directly from their website back when I was approved for my Hilton Surpass.

Message 15 of 19
cardslayer
Regular Contributor

Indeed, the MB REVOLVER card was on their main line-up, but I never saw the platinum CHARGE on there. If I'm wrong, forgive me, but I was specifically contemplating the Platinum charge for several months before app'ing and getting it, and never saw it on their main cards page.

Message 16 of 19
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Dave Ramsey is dumb; he gives every day financial advice for people who are ALREADY super rich and conservative... Tea party anyone? I value Suze Orman much more, as her advice is much more realistic.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 17 of 19
JustMe77
Frequent Contributor

Wow, where have I been? I didn't realize Zync was gone.

Current Cards: Banana Republic Visa ($5,300), Chase Freedom ($2,000), Discover It ($11,500), Amex Costco True Earnings ($5,000), Chase Slate ($2,500)
Message 18 of 19
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I'm glad I have my zync. Hopefully they continue to support the card for a few years. I will look at green or gold after that!
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.