cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just opted out of pre-screened offers for five years

tag
vega25

Just opted out of pre-screened offers for five years

A key reason I decided to opt out of pre-screened offers is to focus. I had been thinking about this for a while, and I finally decided that I was at peace with the credit cards I have (five in total that are active; plenty of credit limit; one stays in the sock drawer; five that were closed but still hang out on the credit report) and did not need to be tempted by or apply to any more. I have had three hard pulls on my report in the last two years on Experian, and two on TU. My score is 750+ and it has been this way for a while now. I don't need any more cards and certainly don't need to lower the average age of my credit cards by adding on more.

I decided enough was enough with the junk mail, and Citibank, Discover, and others really need to be prevented from cutting down any more trees - or even if they claim to use post-consumer recycled material then reduce their carbon footprint, and mine.

Just throwing this out there.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Just opted out of pre-screened offers for five years

Welcome to the forum

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 9
heygirlhey
Established Member

Congrats on reaching that point!

Message 3 of 9
FastForward
Frequent Contributor

Congrats on your decision & for especially knowing your own "limits".  Smiley Happy

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx BCP (10k) | AmEx Blue Cash (1k) | AmEx SPG (3.5k) | Barclay Arrival WMC (7.5k) | Barclay Sallie Mae (1.5k) | Cap1 QS (2k) | Chase Freedom (1k) | Discover IT (4.5k) | InTouch (Local) CU MC (5k) | InTouch (Local) CU LOC (25k)

Citi/Best Buy (AU) (1.5k) | Citi/Best Buy (7.5k) | Comenity/Crate & Barrel (4k) | Comenity/Restoration Hardware (9k) | GE/Ethan Allen (2.5k) | Synchrony Bank/Banana Republic (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Gap (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Walmart (3.3k)

myFICO scores ~ 691 (EQ) 670 (EX) 712 (TU) || Goal scores: 750+ (all 3)
Message 4 of 9
NoNonsense
Established Member

Let me get this straight:  You want to avoid temptation in the mail so you cut that and instead joined this forum online?  I know that was your first post but I imagine you are familiar with this forum.  Temptation doesn't come here once a day with the postman, it lives here all the time, and in very revealing lingerie...  Are you sure you are one of those tragic characters one sees in the reruns of the Twilight Zone?

Message 5 of 9
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Welcome to the forum! Congrats on your decision. 

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 6 of 9
Smooth954
Regular Contributor

@NoNonsense wrote:

Let me get this straight:  You want to avoid temptation in the mail so you cut that and instead joined this forum online?  I know that was your first post but I imagine you are familiar with this forum.  Temptation doesn't come here once a day with the postman, it lives here all the time, and in very revealing lingerie...  Are you sure you are one of those tragic characters one sees in the reruns of the Twilight Zone?

FACTS! Lol this forum will have you apping after a success story. I love these people but trust me they are bad influences. Even the Garden have escapees busting out and going back in with shiny new cards. OP you have been warned. I lighter news Welcome To the Forum. 

Myfico (7/16/14): EQ:736, EX:678(Prosper 7/16/14), TU:691(5/29/14)
Wallet:

Message 7 of 9
vega25

You guys are great, thanks for the warm welcome.

And yes it sounds a bit counter-intuitive why I went ahead and joined this forum having made peace with my current lot of cards. The reason is not so much to replicate other people's success stories, but to help me understand how everybody else is doing. I wouldn't worry about me. Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

@vega25 wrote:

You guys are great, thanks for the warm welcome.

And yes it sounds a bit counter-intuitive why I went ahead and joined this forum having made peace with my current lot of cards. The reason is not so much to replicate other people's success stories, but to help me understand how everybody else is doing. I wouldn't worry about me. Smiley Happy

Knowledge is empowerment and together we unlock the keys for everyone's success on the forum 

Glad to have you join us in the questSmiley Wink

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.