Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just ordered 3 emv cards aka chip/pin

tag
cableguy123
Regular Contributor

Just ordered 3 emv cards aka chip/pin

I think citi all of there cards are chip/pin all you need to do is go under your account info and request new card with chip enabled and i also ordered a new boa visa sig card with a chip in it just in case i have the urge to go on vacation some place far far away!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
chnceit
Valued Contributor

Re: Just ordered 3 emv cards aka chip/pin

They are cool looking cards and thank god the US is finally offering this feature

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 2 of 9
cableguy123
Regular Contributor

yea they are hopefully they will come up off the dollar and get readers here in the us of a to read them but they are good to have just in case of that tempting vacation nice to know if i go to some other country i will have some plastic to use if needed i hate carryin cash it is still needed but in small amounts!

Message 3 of 9
patsfan1453
Regular Contributor

Nice, I didn't know citi did it with all cards. Just ordered a new forward card.

Amex Everyday 6k || Chase Sapphire 5k || Buypower Card 5k || USAA Wounded Warrior Mastercard 4k || Citi TYP 4.9k|| Citi Forward 5.5k || Discover It 2k || Chase Freedom 5.5k || Walmart 1k || Chase Amazon 1k
Business: Chase ink cash 5k || AMEX Simply Cash 3.8k
Total CLs: 48.7k
Message 4 of 9
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Is it Chip and PIN, or Chip and Sign?  I thought Chip and PIN was available only in Europe and other areas outside the USA and that the cards we were issued stateside were Chip and Sign?  Has something changed recently?  If so, that's wonderful news!  Chip and PIN can be used at automated kiosks, presumably?

Message 5 of 9
cableguy123
Regular Contributor

@thom02099 wrote:

Is it Chip and PIN, or Chip and Sign?  I thought Chip and PIN was available only in Europe and other areas outside the USA and that the cards we were issued stateside were Chip and Sign?  Has something changed recently?  If so, that's wonderful news!  Chip and PIN can be used at automated kiosks, presumably?

I am not really sure but i will see in the next week when i get these new cards and report back!

Message 6 of 9
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Pretty sure Citi's "Global Chip" cards are Chip and Signature, not Chip and PIN.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 9
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

Pretty sure Citi's "Global Chip" cards are Chip and Signature, not Chip and PIN.

Yup, looks that way.  Went on line and ordered a replacement DP card. 

Message 8 of 9
Sevenfeet
Regular Contributor

From what I've read, how EMV is set up depends on the credit card issuer in question and the prevailing standards of the country involved.  Most of the card companies in the US are doing "chip and signature".  From a user standpoint, this isn't any different than doing a "swipe and signature" with current magnetic stripe technology, and probably the main reason why companies adopted it in the US.  In other parts of the world, "chip and pin" seems to be the standard of choice.  In this case the credit card authenticates much like an ATM card

It's also possible for a card to do both standards.  For example, a card could be configured to do chip and signature as the default, offering chip and pin only in places where a signature authentication is not possible (like an automated kiosk).

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.