Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just paid my first AF!

tag
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Just paid my first AF!

Matriott annual fee posted today. Sucks that I couldn't get approved for a waived annual fee offer but I think the extra 30K points will make up for it. Next AFs coming are AAdvantage (March 20something) and Delta (April 17th). No other AFs til Venture in December and PRG in January. Trying to decide best way to cut some more out 🤔
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Saleen099
Senior Contributor

Re: Just paid my first AF!

@icyhot wrote:
Matriott annual fee posted today. Sucks that I couldn't get approved for a waived annual fee offer but I think the extra 30K points will make up for it. Next AFs coming are AAdvantage (March 20something) and Delta (April 17th). No other AFs til Venture in December and PRG in January. Trying to decide best way to cut some more out 🤔

I know it sucks a little bit but that extra 30K is well worth it  But that's just my opinion somebody else might have a different outlook on it. 

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

my AF for that card posted the other day and i don't even have the card yet! lol
this is technically my first AF i will pay because my AF for the flagshipRewards posted, i paid it, then PC'd it like a month later with no use and got it refunded; so i can hardly count that one lol. i will get a venture AF in about two years i guess?
Message 3 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@icyhot wrote:
Trying to decide best way to cut some more out 🤔

Sort it out before applying.  It's up to you to ensure that the total cost/benefit for any card works out for you.

Message 4 of 7
willwar14
Valued Contributor

Just paid my Ritz and Marriott AF also, $480 total.

CH7 FILED: 08/18/2022, DC: 01/23/2023
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

After doing some rough guestimations I think the AF on CSP will be at least countered from the amount of spend and UR conversion to flight miles.

Though this probably sounds stupid... I almost would be willing to pay the AF just out of pride since CSP has been my goal card ever since I started establishing/fixing my credit last year and Chase was the first lender to deny me.

Message 6 of 7
Kevin86475391
Frequent Contributor

I have a no annual fee policy personally. I don't travel and am only interested in cash back rewards. Since I also don't care to concentrate my spending on only 1 or 2 cards, no annual fee cash back card is worth paying for. I have more fun maximizing my cash back across several no AF cards with different categories/rewards and the good old no AF Citi DC for a straight 2% back when I can't do better/comparable.

However, I made an exception recently for the CSP because the 50K signup bonus and 5K AU bonus comes to $550 cash back (as I said, I don't travel so have no use for the UR points for travel rewards). The AF is waived the first year so my plan is to keep the card two years. I'll pay the AF once just to avoid being perceived as a churner with Chase, and that'll still net me $455 on the deal (plus regular spending cash back), so that seems fair. I'll cancel it a month or two before the 3rd year AF would be due. Can't justify keeping it since I only plan to use it for the 2% on dining (when my Freedom and Discover It aren't doing restuarants as the 5% category), which is nice, but not worth it long-term since I can get 2% for free with the DC.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.