cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just received email about AAdvantage Changes :)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just received email about AAdvantage Changes :)

I just received an email from Citi AAdvantage (Card I was just approved for not too long ago)!   

This is not from Citi but since it has some impact on some of us Card Holders... It actually seems like a good thing.  

But I thought I should share - in case their are any in process of apping ! 

I think you would have to go to their website to read the fine print.  

Hello
AAdvantage® 
In November 2015, we announced that we are making changes to the American Airlines AAdvantage®program so it’s rewarding for all members while giving our best customers access to our most exclusive benefits. Here’s what’s coming next:

Earning award miles

For travel beginning August 1, 2016, you’ll earn more miles the more you spend with us. So that you know what you’ll earn with us, in late June, you’ll be able to see award mile estimates* when you’re booking your flight on aa.

Go to AA website to read more on how award miles will be calculated (I did not want to post links in case it was a no no) 

Elite status in 2017 and beyond
On January 1, 2017, we’ll add a new elite status level and adjust qualification requirements. We’ll also make updates to upgrades later in 2017.

We'll continue to keep you updated as we implement these changes. Thank you for your loyalty.
In November 2015, we announced that we are making changes to the American Airlines AAdvantage®program so it’s rewarding for all members while giving our best customers access to our most exclusive benefits. Here’s what’s coming next:

Earning award miles

For travel beginning August 1, 2016, you’ll earn more miles the more you spend with us. So that you know what you’ll earn with us, in late June, you’ll be able to see award mile estimates* when you’re booking your flight on aa.

Go to AA website to read more on how award miles will be calculated (I did not want to post links in case it was a no no) 

On January 1, 2017, we’ll add a new elite status level and adjust qualification requirements. We’ll also make updates to upgrades later in 2017.

We'll continue to keep you updated as we implement these changes. Thank you for your loyalty.
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: Just received email about AAdvantage Changes :)

Thanks for providing updated data. This card was on my watch list.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 2 of 11
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Most definitely NOT a good think. They're switching to a revenue system.

So before, you might be able to get a dope deal for a flight to Europe for $300 or something super cheap like that. Even though the ticket was only $300 you earned however many miles you flew. If it was a 10k mile trip, you earned 10k miles. Now a standard (non elite member) earns 5 miles per dollar. Meaning that trip that used to earn you 10k miles, now earns you 1500 miles.

But if you buy a super expensive $5000 first class flight, you're in luck.
Message 3 of 11
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I just received an email from Citi AAdvantage (Card I was just approved for not too long ago)!   

This is not from Citi but since it has some impact on some of us Card Holders... It actually seems like a good thing.  

Hello
AAdvantage® 

Earning award miles

Go to AA website to read more on how award miles will be calculated (I did not want to post links in case it was a no no) 

Earning award miles

Go to AA website to read more on how award miles will be calculated (I did not want to post links in case it was a no no) 

Has nothing to do with the card but with how the reward system works going foward with AA itself.

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 4 of 11
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:
Most definitely NOT a good think. They're switching to a revenue system.

So before, you might be able to get a dope deal for a flight to Europe for $300 or something super cheap like that. Even though the ticket was only $300 you earned however many miles you flew. If it was a 10k mile trip, you earned 10k miles. Now a standard (non elite member) earns 5 miles per dollar. Meaning that trip that used to earn you 10k miles, now earns you 1500 miles.

But if you buy a super expensive $5000 first class flight, you're in luck.

Eh can be a good thing for the frequent tavelers who spend a lot of money anyways ....

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello
AAdvantage® 

Earning award miles

Earning award miles

Has nothing to do with the card but with how the reward system works going foward with AA itself.

I thought it could be important for those thinking of apping for the card ... some may be cool with it and others may not like it and may sway their choice in what travel/airline card that they wish to app for.  I recently apped before this came out...  it would not of changed my mind.  However, I can see where it could either way for someone else.  It was of interest to me...   So I thought the share was note worthy.  

Message 6 of 11
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

I for one appreciate you pointing all that out since i only jumped on this card yesterday and theres plenty i'm sure that i will need to catch up on fully but my busy schedule often times keeps me from learning everything included or excluded, or just something of importance that might be useful or not.

So thanks.

Message 7 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

I for one appreciate you pointing all that out since i only jumped on this card yesterday and theres plenty i'm sure that i will need to catch up on fully but my busy schedule often times keeps me from learning everything included or excluded, or just something of importance that might be useful or not.

So thanks.

Frequent flier programs are always subject to change (generally in one direction!) and so this should be taken into account when applying for this type of card (UR/SPG/MR/TYP give access to a range of programs, which also devalue, but you have more choice....)   

Message 8 of 11
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

So thanks.

Frequent flier programs are always subject to change (generally in one direction!) and so this should be taken into account when applying for this type of card (UR/SPG/MR/TYP give access to a range of programs, which also devalue, but you have more choice....)   

Appreciate the insight.

I'm normally a frequent ground transport exclusive traveler due to heavy transport occupation so airlines travel isn't exactly my most knowledgable area or mode of transportation.

Message 9 of 11
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello
AAdvantage® 

Earning award miles

Earning award miles

I thought it could be important for those thinking of apping for the card ... some may be cool with it and others may not like it and may sway their choice in what travel/airline card that they wish to app for.  I recently apped before this came out...  it would not of changed my mind.  However, I can see where it could either way for someone else.  It was of interest to me...   So I thought the share was note worthy.  

Meh This card isn't even that great at earning miles .... it's basically a 1X points card with 2X if you spend it on AA related stuff.  50,000 points with the free luggage and group one boarding is the sole reason for the card IMHO*

*Now the offer is 30,000 points after spending $1,000. I had at the time 50,000 points after spending $3,000. This more or less was already announced a whole back ....but just a reminder... $95 fee is covered by the luggage alone IMHO.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.