cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just recieved Amex Green Card. SHOULD I SWITCH?

tag
garci349
Established Member

Just recieved Amex Green Card. SHOULD I SWITCH?

Green card is great. But is it possible to switch to a different amex card? For example a credit card with rewards? I use this card daily and I want cash back etc. Please let me know what my options are :-)

Amex Green Card, U.S. Bank Platinum $2,000, U.S. Bank Line of Credit $1,500, BoFA Visa $500, C1 $500
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
shane82388
Established Contributor

Re: Just recieved Amex Green Card. SHOULD I SWITCH?

@garci349 wrote:

Green card is great. But is it possible to switch to a different amex card? For example a credit card with rewards? I use this card daily and I want cash back etc. Please let me know what my options are :-)

The Green card does have rewards...

Do you mean u want a revolving card from them? U could also upgrade to Gold or Platinum as they have more benefits/rewards but also higher annual fees.

Message 2 of 14
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Green to Gold or Plati.....but higher fees......

If you want revolver CC then you need to apps for it.

Green= charge card.

BCE, Delta, = CRedit cards.

They only SP if denied.

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 3 of 14
garci349
Established Member

I dont really want any annual fee. Is it easy to switch to a different amex card? or do I have to apply for a new one? I like the jet blue card becuase i want to fly or a cash back card because I use my card almost daily.

Amex Green Card, U.S. Bank Platinum $2,000, U.S. Bank Line of Credit $1,500, BoFA Visa $500, C1 $500
Message 4 of 14
garci349
Established Member

Is the Jet Blue Amex card better than the Green?

Is the cash blue amex card better as well?

Message 5 of 14
Ron1
Super Contributor

You cannot switch to another card after a year. You only can switch from charge to charge card.

Ron.

Message 6 of 14
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@garci349 wrote:

I dont really want any annual fee. Is it easy to switch to a different amex card? or do I have to apply for a new one? I like the jet blue card becuase i want to fly or a cash back card because I use my card almost daily.

Then you shouldn't apply AMEX Green in the first place. You cannot PC Green to JetBlue, BCE, etc.

You can only PC Green to Gold, PRG, and Platinum. All of which has AF.

Message 7 of 14
garci349
Established Member

Hi Ron,

I just recieved this card 2 months ago. Do I still have options? IM A NEWBIE!

Message 8 of 14
shane82388
Established Contributor

your options are this...

try to convert to gold or platinum amex cards if you want more rewards and more annual fees...

or wait a year and get a amex revolver card.

Message 9 of 14
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@garci349 wrote:

Hey garci349!  Welcome to the Forums!

First off, it might benefit you well to read this thread to get you up to speed on the abbreviations. Smiley Happy http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=Welcome&thread.id=23

With regards to your question:  you have with Amex what is called a Charge Card.  Charge cards must be paid off every month.  Charge cards from Amex can only be product changed (pc'd) to other Amex charge products. ie... Amex Gold- PRG Gold- or Platnium.   The Jet Blue Card is a "revolver" by Amex.  A revolver is a card that you can carry a balance on and revolve the charges if you so decide to.  You will not be able to PC to this card because one can not PC charge cards to revolvers.  If you wish to acquire a revolver with Amex, you will need to apply for it.  Nice thing about having any Amex card- charge or revolver is that any subsequent applications after becoming a cardmember, is a SP to your CR unless approved.  Since you have the Green, if you want the Jt Blue app for it.  If you qualify, you will be approved.  If not, you will receive a letter from Amex giving you the reasons why so that you can work on your credit profile to get you the card eventually and it won't hurt your CR.  I hope this helps you with your question.  Best of luck on our credit journey.  Do a little research on this and you will find a wealth of information to help you build that credit history and score. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.