Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just turned 18...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Just turned 18...

@fltireguy is correct about Discover merely transmitting the data to the bureau's... @Matt4200 seemed to be a smidge confused about that...

For what it's worth OP... Discover denied me for the student card never asked for any supporting docs or anything.. As always it is a YMMV situation Discover is awesome to deal with though once they let you in... I had to get a secured card after 2 months of credit history before they would let me in.....

Best of luck in your credit journey we are always here for you!
Message 11 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! I ended up applying for both the Discover it Student and the Cap1 Journey. I was approved for the Discover it with $500 SL; however, I was denied for the Cap1 Journey (surprised).

Message 12 of 33
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you! I ended up applying for both the Discover it Student and the Cap1 Journey. I was approved for the Discover it with $500 SL; however, I was denied for the Cap1 Journey (surprised).

NICE! Congratulations, and Happy Birthday as well!!

CapOne HAS been tightening up lately, or so it seems. Still, I'm surprised at the denial. But, Discover has enormous potential for growth, when treated properly!

Next - a little advice.  DO NOT apply for any more credit at the moment. Show some history, maybe 6 months or so on the Discover, and then you should be set for another approval from a prime lender, like Chase, for example. Remember that if you should want a card from them, that MOST of their better cards are under 5/24 now, so please keep that in mind...

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 13 of 33
ls2016
Frequent Contributor

Congratulations OP on the Discover card. My daughter was denied the Discover student card at 18, for no credit history, but approved for the regular Platinum Capital One card for $500. After 6 months of history, she re-applied for the Discover student card and was approved ($500). Now she has those two, in addition to the Chase Freedom card ($500). She's stopping at 3 cards as she can barely afford to have those on $12, 000.00 a year income (college and part-time work).
Best Wishes to you!
Current FICO 8s: Ex 768, Tu 741, Eq 741
Current FICO 9s: Ex 775, Tu ?? Eq 781
Total TLs: $120,000
8 (30-60 day) mortgage lates and 2 (30 day) auto lates remain from Jan., Feb. 2016
Current Mortgage Ex. Fico 2 787
Message 14 of 33
UpInSmoke
Contributor

OP, be sure to Recon both cards. No better time to learn to start speaking to underwriters. You should see if you can use the HP at Capital One for a secured card (at a minimum).

Happy Birthday! I wish I knew at 18 what you know about credit and seeking help from other experienced and savvy credit experts. Best of luck to you in your credit journey!!! You've started out on the right foot. 😉
Business Lines:

Personal Lines:

Lines of Credit:

Message 15 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the Approval!

The Discover card comes with a CashBack Match offer so any CashBack you earn in your first year will be doubled in a year from now! Use the card for purchases you can pay off and you'll get a larger limit soon.

Fltireguy - I didn't mean literally forge a file and hand it to the CRA's and that's your file...I meant when they try to pull your credit report there's nothing there so they have to put have to put all the information there manually to create your profile rather than rely on existing information to verify someone. They then report all your information the the CRA's (reported income, employer, address, phone number etc) and the CRA's build your file based on that information.
Message 16 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats on the Disco card, that's an auspicious start into the world of credit! 

Message 17 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UpInSmoke wrote:
OP, be sure to Recon both cards. No better time to learn to start speaking to underwriters. You should see if you can use the HP at Capital One for a secured card (at a minimum).

Happy Birthday! I wish I knew at 18 what you know about credit and seeking help from other experienced and savvy credit experts. Best of luck to you in your credit journey!!! You've started out on the right foot. 😉

This^

Recon.

Message 18 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

I recommend reconing the Cap1. Discover is great (probably my favorite card overall), but still has some acceptance problems. It usually is smaller businesses and non chain restuarants. Having the Cap1 means you'd have a major network that should make it easier to pay if you don't have cash.

Message 19 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Happy Birthday!

Discover It student is your best shot, they will ask for verifications tuition statement, proof of acceptance and enrollment, proof of address etc. because there's literally no credit file for you they build one from scratch and send it to the credit reporting agencies.

+1 and Happy Birthday!!

Message 20 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.