cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just wondering who to choose,this is my first time here.

tag
creditchief
Regular Contributor

Just wondering who to choose,this is my first time here.

I am presently in a Ch13 to be discharged in Jan.08 and I want to increase my scores more for a home purchase later in the year.After filing my scores were in the 550 range across the board but I took the chance with HSBC offer and got 2500 cl,I also got in a credit union at my job ,got a secured loan and paid it off . My Fico scores now are 686 EX, 676 EQ,633TU . I got an offer from Juniper and was turn down and I think they blackballed me for filing Barclays. Now I am afraid to try Cap-1,Wamu because I filed them also. So who do I choose from here. I was going to try Simmons First in Ar. so I called  first and told them they approved me for a student loan for my son but they said to get a card  from them you would need no BKs and at least 730 credit score. I even paid the student loan off in full already .Can someone please help me with any info. on what to do now.

Starting Score: 550-tu 550-eq
Current Score: 745-tu 777-eq (ex-736 lo)
Goal Score: 800-tu 800-eq

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Just wondering who to choose,this is my first time here.

do the pre-qaul from Bank of America and Capital One and see if you get any offers.
Walmart, Sams would be good options to with the chance of getting Discover.
Dillards too.
Message 2 of 6
islandchild82
Frequent Contributor

I believe Simmons is a "very prime" bank, so that sounds about right for their qualifications. You can do a search and find other users' experiences.

Additionally, have you checked the BK Friendly Cards thread stickied at the top of this forum? There's a wealth of information in there.

Good luck!
Message 3 of 6
creditchief
Regular Contributor

Thanks alot guys for talking to me. I think I did something stupid the other day ,I got an invite for a Walmart card and now it has expired ,do you think I should try the store application and do you think I will get as good an offer as I might have if I would have sent back the invite?

Starting Score: 550-tu 550-eq
Current Score: 745-tu 777-eq (ex-736 lo)
Goal Score: 800-tu 800-eq

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would imagine it shouldn't make much of a difference because if your scores are what you say they are, which is pretty good, you shouldn't have difficulty getting the Walmart card. If for whatever reason they have a problem with the recency of your BK, that would probably be the case with the pre-approval as well. Other popular store cards you may want to try are Target, Kay Jeweler's, and Macy's.

As others have said, try the BoA and Cap1 pre-approvals. If Cap1 was IIB, do not cold apply for them. You can try a cold app on BoA, however, and hope that they counter-offer their 99/500 card, which you can find plenty of information about here. You can also try a secured card through BoA, CITI, and certain other issuers but do your research first and try to find one that will eventually unsecure and grow with you over time.

Another option would be to apply with a CU. You can find lots of information about those on the BK friendly thread.

Worst case scenario, look into the various HSBC offerings such as Orchard Bank, Household, or even direct from HSBC. Most of their applications are pre-qualifiers so you can see how you like the terms before you apply. Both their secured and unsecured cards are quite easy to get. Try to find something with no or minimal annual fee.

Good luck!
Message 5 of 6
Uniqua
Established Contributor

Have we forgotten what BANKRUPTCY is? If you are currently in a Ch 13 BK, you are NOT supposed to be applying for new credit. Instead of being afraid of trying Cap 1, you should be afraid of the BK court trustee who will dismiss your BK if your new credit lines are found out. I have found a lot of wonderful information here, but it still blows my mind when I see others encouraging people in BK to apply for new credit, which is against the BK laws in the first place.

The best information I can give you is to stop applying for credit and pray the trustee doesn't find out about the new credit you have already established.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.