Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just wow... Stolen Credit Card

tag
gnay
Valued Member

Just wow... Stolen Credit Card

Ok so... my new discover card was scheduled to arrive sometime this week (wasn't offerred tracking # so I wasn't sure).

When I got home late in the evening today, I was checking my email as usual, and see this message that reads "Discover Fraud Prevention Alert." I was like **bleep** is this. I haven't even received my card yet.

Apparently, the card arrived today via FEDEX and was left by the front porch since no one was home at the time.

As it turns out, the package was stolen by some douche.

This **bleep**er somehow managed to activate the card and made two transactions at Target and at a gas station ATM machine.

Has CC activation been this easy? Isn't it customary that it asks you the last 4 digits of your social for identity checking purposes?

I contacted Discover immediately, and at this moment, the account is suspended. They will be crediting back the entire amount (about 98.5% of the CL) within 10 days and sending me a new card under a new account.

So how should I go forward with this? I called the police department to file a report and was told I would first need a writing/proof from Discover that those are, in fact, fraudulent charges.

I highly doubt they will do anything though.

Oh 1 mo thing. When I called Target and asked how in the world did s/he manage to use the card, I was told they don't check ID's for CC purchases. I can understand McDonalds not checking ID's since the amount is typically very low, but c'mon Target. Either way, he would've found other places to swipe the card, if he was refused the transaction anyways.

I could really careless as long as I don't get charged for anything. It's Discover's fault for not requiring signature on their packages. Most importantly, I seriously hope that the balance (98.5% of CL) doesn't get reported to the credit bureaus! They said don't worry about it, but can't trust nobody these days.

FML. End of the story.

Anyone please feel free to chime in!

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
eviLution
Established Contributor

Re: Just wow... Stolen Credit Card

I had mines stolen also, but I called Discover before charges were made.

I hate the fact that they use FedEx. FedEx workers always leave packages downstairs if you live in an apartment building.

UPS come knocking at your door and they leave it with my neighbor if I'm not home at all times.

DCU Platinum: 4000 - Discover IT: 11000 - Walmart: 5000 - AMEX BCP: 18000 - Chase Freedom VS: 5000
in the garden since 1/24/14 - #GARDENSTRONG
Message 2 of 15
slippy84
Contributor

Most merchant agreements actually prohibit stores from asking for IDs. I don't know of Discover has that wording or not. In any case, Discover's fraud protection should protect you though.
US Bank Cash+ -- Chase Freedom -- Citi Dividend -- Citi Double Cash -- AMEX BCE -- Discover It
Message 3 of 15
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@gnay wrote:

Ok so... my new discover card was scheduled to arrive sometime this week (wasn't offerred tracking # so I wasn't sure).

When I got home late in the evening today, I was checking my email as usual, and see this message that reads "Discover Fraud Prevention Alert." I was like **bleep** is this. I haven't even received my card yet.

Apparently, the card arrived today via FEDEX and was left by the front porch since no one was home at the time.

As it turns out, the package was stolen by some douche.

This **bleep**er somehow managed to activate the card and made two transactions at Target and at a gas station ATM machine.

Has CC activation been this easy? Isn't it customary that it asks you the last 4 digits of your social for identity checking purposes?

I contacted Discover immediately, and at this moment, the account is suspended. They will be crediting back the entire amount (about 98.5% of the CL) within 10 days and sending me a new card under a new account.

So how should I go forward with this? I called the police department to file a report and was told I would first need a writing/proof from Discover that those are, in fact, fraudulent charges.

I highly doubt they will do anything though.

Oh 1 mo thing. When I called Target and asked how in the world did s/he manage to use the card, and was told they don't check ID's for CC purchases. I can understand McDonalds not checking ID's since the amount is typically very low, but c'mon Target. Either way, he would've found other places to swipe the cards, if he was refused the transaction anyways.

I could really careless if I don't get charged for anything. It's Discover's fault for not requiring signature on their packages. Most importantly, I seriously hope that the balance (98.5% of CL) doesn't get reported to the credit bureaus! They said don't worry about it, but can't trust nobody these days.

FML. End of the story.

Anyone please feel free to chime in!

First off...that sucks and I dispise thieves.

It just sucks that the package was delivered at a time you weren't home. Not really anyone at fault except for the thief that stole it. It's good to see Discover taking care of you and getting everything taken care of. Also, there are several cards i have where I just call in and there is a automated thing that activates the card over the phone, though usually you have to be calling from the number that matches the number on the application. As for not checking ID for your card at Target. There is no requirement for ID checking and you'll find that most don't especially since you swipe it yourself at most stores now, and IIRC there have been a few threads on here that stores are actually not allowed to ask your for ID anyways though some do and most people dont' care but you can refuse to show ID regardless.

Anyway, sucks this happened but glad you're getting taken care of.

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only way fedex would leave the package is if they came and you weren't home they leave a sticky on your door saying they will return tomorrow and there is another option when you sign it giving them permission to leave the package and it said they wouldn't be responsible if stolen. That's what my options were.
Message 5 of 15
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Fedex will usually leave the package on the first day as well. Depends if your driver is too lazy to come back or not.
Message 6 of 15
lithium78
Established Contributor

When FedEx came with my card, they rang the doorbell and required a signature before they would hand it over.  I don't know why it was different in your case.  When you are delivering a financial instrument, it's so important that it is delivered directly to a person to avoid problems like fraud.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 15
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
The only way fedex would leave the package is if they came and you weren't home they leave a sticky on your door saying they will return tomorrow and there is another option when you sign it giving them permission to leave the package and it said they wouldn't be responsible if stolen. That's what my options were.

That is not the only way that Fedex works.  It depends on where you live as to what Fedex will do.  Very seldom does Fedex leave a sticker on my door for anything.  They just leave packages on my front porch.  My Discover card was left under my mat.  Documents sent from my bank for refinancing were left on my doorstep.  My iPhone was left on my front door step.  So I guess it just depends on the area you live.  And btw, those options were listed on my ticket as well but I guess they don't use them...LOL!

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am surprised the card had to be shipped by fedex unless I missed some details. When I got my discover card last year it came in an unmarked envelope, just a standard envelope that the mailman routinely leaves in my mail box for bills and other stuff. Called to activate the card.

In any case don't worry you are protected from fraud with credit cards. Technically the thief never stole your money, they stole Discovers money. Just report it as fraud and let Discover take care of you.

Message 9 of 15
GoldenloveNY
Frequent Contributor

Wow. Thankgoodness for Discover Fraud protection, but I agree, Discover needs to REQUIRE Fedex to recieve a signature. I have experienced simiar action by Fedex. Fedex has send my packages to my neighbor's house if I am not home to recieve it. I am okay with that since I know neighbors aren't theives or killers (I hope not....lol). UPS, however, usually leave a notice saying that they will come back the next day if I am not home. 

Citi Double Cash: $1,000
Capital One Secured: $500
Capital One Savor One: $1,650
Amex Gold- NPSL.
Amex Platinum- NPSL.
Amex Delta Gold: $1,000
Best Buy Store Credit Card: $2,000
Amazon Store Credit Card: $6,000
Verizon Visa Card: $2,000

Bj's Perks Elite Mastercard: $2,300

Merrick Credit Card: $1,400
First Savings Credit Card: $1,250
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.