Regular Contributor
Romeoo47

Kay Jewelers

I know we aren't suppose to close accounts, I read the thread on closing accounts, but I really want to get rid of this account.  I have had it for almost 2 years and I have only used it once.  I bought something and returned it a few days later.  I really don't buy much jewelry and only opened it for an engagement ring for my gf.  However, I have decided to go to Costco for that.  I see no use in the account now.  Should I close it?

On a side note:  UTIL is not an issue.  I have a current UTIL of 8% but I have recently got an AMEX Costco card and a Alliant card that more than takes up the CL for Kays.  Just by my estimate w/o Kays my UTIL will be around 7.8% but with Kays I think it is 6.9%.  And in terms of age, I think AMEX back dates so I won't take an AA hit from the new account from them.  Thoughts anyone?

Moderator Emerita
LilMirth

Re: Kay Jewelers

I'd vote for, if it's not hurting and it's not costing you anything (fees), just leave it. As long as it's open, it's helping both your utilization (when you have balances) and your history. And, since you're not going to use & willing to close it yourself, just let it sit there until Kay's closes it. At least then you'll get the maximum amount of time and benefit from it being open. When it closes, you'll get up to 10 years of good history.

-------------------------------------------

Friendly, Supportive & Respectful

Understanding Your FICO Score  |  Credit Scoring 101  |  Common Abbreviations  |  FTC: FCRA Links  |  FTC: FDCPA Links  |  Opt-Out  |  State Resources

"However gradual may be the growth of confidence, that of credit requires still more time to arrive at maturity” ~ Benjamin Disraeli

Regular Contributor
Romeoo47

Re: Kay Jewelers

Do you still feel the same way if you got a CLI from one of your CCs in double the amount of your CL with Kays?  I just really hate having cards that I don't use.  But your point is taken. 

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+