cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kay Jewelry Authorized User - Does it help my CS?

tag
msmsm

Kay Jewelry Authorized User - Does it help my CS?

Everything I've read lately indicates being an authorized user boosts CSs. However, the CSR mentioned it would not.

I'd imagine he knows what he's talking about, but I'll try asking on here.

Thanks in advance. Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Kay Jewelry Authorized User - Does it help my CS?

It may or it may not.  There are multiple factors on whether being an AU will help.

1.  Account Age.  If the account is a new account and will lower your average age of accounts, then it might not help (unless you have none to very few accounts on your CR)

2.  Balance.  If the account has high utilization then this may hurt you.

3.  Late or other derogatory account history.  If the account has anything negative, this would not be helpful.

4.  Not all CCC's report AU's to the CRB's.  If they don't report it, it won't help.

5.  If you don't live at or have the statement address on your CR, then it may not "link" to you and be reported, even if you are an AU and they CCC reports AU's.  Most CCC's don't ask for SS# and DOB.  So, if you become an AU on an account that has a statement/billing address not currently reported or linked in some way to your CR, then it may not show up.  For example:  BoA and CapOne ask for Name, DOB and SS# when adding an AU.  So even if the AU is at a different address, the AU accout  will show on their CR because it links by those items.  But if the CCC only asks for the name to put on card, then you may very well not have the AU show up (if your address is not statemetn address).

Where an AU helps is if:

1.  It improves your average age or oldest account age.

2.  It improves your mix of credit

3.  It helps establish 3 or more TL's on your CR.

4.  It's CL to balance is low useage meaning it helps your revolving percentages of utilization

5.  It's a prime card (not so much a FICO factor, but will be helpful to some lenders - but not all).

Message 2 of 3
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Kay Jewelry Authorized User - Does it help my CS?

msmsm wrote:

Everything I've read lately indicates being an authorized user boosts CSs. However, the CSR mentioned it would not.

I'd imagine he knows what he's talking about, but I'll try asking on here.

Thanks in advance. Smiley Sad

Hi, welcome to the forums!

"However, the CSR mentioned it would not." --lol, bless their hearts, 99.999% of CSR's are unable to say "I don't know." You'll hear a lot of inaccurate info from CSR's.

Keep reading here and develop a healthy skepticism.

If you haven't already, please read Understanding Your FICO ® Score and Credit Scoring 101 (at least the first post.)

These will give you the background knowledge you need to understand what you read here on the forums.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.