cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kay jewelers apply online or in store?

tag
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Re: Kay jewelers apply online or in store?

My reason for the Kay card is the purchase I want is 3200 and I think I stand a better chance getting approved for that amount cause they carry their own in house financing.  Chase wont give me that high of a cli nor do I think applying with discover will give me that amount as well.  It would be a gamble to apply elsewhere hoping for a limit of at least 3200

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 11 of 24
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

to everyone that says open a credit card with promo instead of kays... the reason you get kays is because they will give you the CL!!

Exactly!

Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

Message 12 of 24
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@rootpooty wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

to everyone that says open a credit card with promo instead of kays... the reason you get kays is because they will give you the CL!!

Exactly!

I don't think someone with 800 credit scores and $100k income is really the Kay client anyway, so no they are not going to get a kay card....

I had an Ex that got a Kay card with $1200 limit with a 556 credit score.

I had a $1500 limit with open BK and like a 580ish

and now I have a $2700 limit Kay card (probably closing any moment for inactivity... that is one down side is they won't let it just sit around and let you collect a nice revolving line of credit for util. or something, they close in under 12 months in my experience... but if you purchase and keep open, they also seem to CLI every 12 months or so.

Message 13 of 24
randyrhodes
Established Contributor

Who does Kays pull for score?
Message 14 of 24
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@randyrhodes wrote:
Who does Kays pull for score?

EQ i believe

Message 15 of 24
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

wow i didnt think they approved store credit with scores in the high 500's

Message 16 of 24
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@rootpooty wrote:

wow i didnt think they approved store credit with scores in the high 500's

Kay goes lower then most because they are the bank... they issue the card themselves.

Von Maur is similar but they have tiny credit lines to keep you locked in for a while to watch you but I rather be issued a small line to test me then flat deny!

Message 17 of 24
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Good thread and mixed opinions. I actually made a pretty high "cash" purchase are Kay's in my travel routines last year. When i first started reading then joined this very informative forum i kept seeing many high Kay Jewelers limits compared to even bank cards and was naturally lured by that prospect like others, (reduce util. etc) but instead moved first toward the bank credit since i was newly starting out.
I'm glad i did now, but Kay's does like in-store purchases as mentioned. I been heavily solicited by them ever since, discount offers, special financing, etc. Too bad they don't market card preapprovals without applying first.
For me it's just not worth a HP on Equifax.

Message 18 of 24
animalpaws6
Established Member

Creditaddict is correct regarding Kay Jewelers.  Kay’s finances their own credit card accounts, and they are not as stringent as other credit card companies for obtaining a high credit limit.  Applying in-store is always better because the sales associate can verify a person’s identity, and may recon in-store for a bigger limit (not always granted, but we can ask!!).  Also, they will close someone’s account for inactivity if greater than 24 months.  If your account is approaching 22 months, making a small purchase is a good idea, provided you want your account to stay open.  Finally, 12 months interest free, requiring 20% down on $500 or more is standard policy, which works for a lot of people.

Current cards: Amex Gold, NPSL, Discover IT (8k), Chase Freedom (6k), Chase Slate (500), Cap One (2k), Citi Diamond (3.5k), PFFCU (3k), Walmart (1.6k), Home Depot (500), CareCredit (500), 1st Prem (575), 1st Prem (550).

Goal: 750 across the board. App free since 11/?/13.
Message 19 of 24
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

how does the tradeline report?  say your given a 5k store limit but only charge 1500.  does the limit report or just what you charged?

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.