Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kay jewelers apply online or in store?

tag
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Kay jewelers apply online or in store?

Like the title states I have figure out what item I would like to purchase and was explained they have a 12 month intro zero percent with 20 percent down.  Am I better off applying for store credit first online to see how much they give me or am I better off going to the store telling them what item i want then applying?  If anyone has done this before please chime in.  Thanks again

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
NoNonsense
Established Member

Re: Kay jewelers apply online or in store?

Why apply at all?  What's wrong with cubic zirconia at Walmart?

Message 2 of 24
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@rootpooty wrote:

Like the title states I have figure out what item I would like to purchase and was explained they have a 12 month intro zero percent with 20 percent down.  Am I better off applying for store credit first online to see how much they give me or am I better off going to the store telling them what item i want then applying?  If anyone has done this before please chime in.  Thanks again

with Kay it will be faster and maybe slightly better outcome if you apply in store.. they will do it instantly. online it gets sent for review usually and they decision in like an hour or so (at least in the past they did) in store with ID in hand and purchase in hand of sales person might be good push though... but generally I usually just apply online for most things vs. in store unless we are talking Macy's and Bloomingdales which should be done in store!

Message 3 of 24
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

In my opinion apply in store they will be hot for the sale and call in if declined for the amount needed.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 4 of 24
39Xelor
Established Member

It's probably always better to apply in store because 99% of the time if you are approved in store you're most likely going to make a purchase that same day on your new card! Which, of course is what they want! From what we see on this forum, more people have luck in store in these situations and usually receive higher CL's when they app in store! Best of luck to you! Smiley Happy

Whats In My Wallet? A Whole Lotta' Awesomeness!
Message 5 of 24
asphaltcowboy
Valued Contributor

I agree with in store, you may get extra discount instead of the online price

just my opinion, good luckSmiley Happy

Starting Score TU 667 EQ 663 EX 655
Current Score TU 778 EQ 776 EX 781 Last Update 4/2016
Garden Club 04/10/2013
Message 6 of 24
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

I am bias against kay (they keep closing my accounts after paying off a 0% promo, happened twice already and for some stupid reason i keep reapplying) but why dont you spend that HP on a better card with an APR promo? The barclay arrival for instance will get you a long 0%, a 40,000 point bonus, a free fico score, and the ability to use the card outside of kay. The chase freedom is another option, or even the discover IT.
Message 7 of 24
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@wHiTeSoL wrote:
I am bias against kay (they keep closing my accounts after paying off a 0% promo, happened twice already and for some stupid reason i keep reapplying) but why dont you spend that HP on a better card with an APR promo? The barclay arrival for instance will get you a long 0%, a 40,000 point bonus, a free fico score, and the ability to use the card outside of kay. The chase freedom is another option, or even the discover IT.

This is what I was going to Post. That card has a high APR after the 12 months, something I would expect to have on a card with rewards. But the card has no rewards.

AND you have to pay 20% of your purchase price up front? For a card that can only be used at Kays?

What am I mising here? There has to be something i'm missing...

Even the US Bank Platinum (has no rewards) would be better. 15 months of 0%, plus with the spend you will put on it you should  be able to request a good CLI later, and then PC it to a Cash+. 

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 8 of 24
toi34
Established Contributor

I guess it a matter of preference.

I applied online, it said check your email in an hour -- APPROVED for $3000.

There was no promo at the time, but they had black diamonds on sale for the holidays and I jumped on it!

Message 9 of 24
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

to everyone that says open a credit card with promo instead of kays... the reason you get kays is because they will give you the CL!!

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.