Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kays Jewelers / Jareds?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Kays Jewelers / Jareds?

Hi I recently apped and approved for the last card I apped for last year. It was a Kays card which I understand you can use at Jareds too. Not sure if there is only one card or if you app at Jareds if that card is defferent. But same parent company none the less.

I am wandering if anyone

(a) has received a credit limit increase upon activation by calling them and asking for it

(b) has received auto CLI's and if so how often

(c) knows how long you have to wait before they let you call and get a CLI and how often in between.

I am thrilled with the CL as it is my highest yet by close to $1000 so its not a huge deal now but am wandering if I am stuck with what they gave me or if this card will let you grow and if so rapidly or slowly.

Thanks for any input.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
outofthewoods
Valued Member

Re: Kays Jewelers / Jareds?

Hi and congrats on the approval.

I didn't try for a cli..card came activated already. If you want to increase yout total credit for util purposes, then apply for jareds. if you were approved for one they will be approved for the other. As you pointed out already they are the same company-sterling. the credit line will be SHARED among the cards, but report as seperate tl's.

So in your case it will show as 2k in credit on your cr's.

I did it..jared, kay, and jbr (the 3rd company)

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok so if I understand you correctly I got approved for $1300.

If I app for Jareds I will also get approved for $1300?

And it will show as a different tradeline so I will have two $1300 accounts on my CR for a total of $2600?

And then the $1300 is really a combined CL so if I buy $1200 at Kays and then go to Jareds that card has only $100 left?

I just want to clarify before I do anything with it.

And yes the reason is for utilization. I am getting ready to make a purchase with it in the next couple of months that will be around $1000 and I am going to do the no interest financing just to show good payment history with them and good utilization for them. I am not apping for anything like a car or mortgage this year so no biggie on the small decrease in FICO points for utilization but I dont want the card to be near the credit limit and look maxed out in fear of possible AA from my other cards or take a chance on getting declined for my CLI's on the other cards for high overall utilization.

If thats how it works its pretty neat that you can make the CL show up twice on your reports even if you can only use it once.

Message 3 of 6
outofthewoods
Valued Member

yes you are correct. its a shared credit limit.

will show as two different 1300 tl's.

I needed positive tl's and this was an easy way to do it.

My total credit limit is 2100 but it shows as 3 seperate trade lines (6300) and all started reporting right away.

I cant remember offhand if I took another hard hit with the other inq's, but imo it was worth it.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the info out of the woods. Sure enough I apped for Jareds and bingo $1300.

Now I have one more question for everyone.

On these cards are they one that you use it or lose it. I am going to purchase by March and do the 12 months no interest so it isnt a problem for a while but do these need to be used in any certain intervals to keep from closure or are they pretty much always going to be there if you dont close them?

Message 5 of 6
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

I opened my Sterling card at a local jeweler in my area that was bought by Kay. They converted my card and kept the history. It was my first account and I was initially approved for $300 as that was the amount I needed at that time. I opened it in 2001 and used it that one time. Then I used it again in 2007. However I had to reactivate my account since it was dormant for a long time. I had a 600 EQ at that time (they pulled my credit, so I guess it was like opening a new account). But then they CLI'd me to $5000, which was awesome. My highest CL reporting at that time was $500.

I called last week to inquire about a CLI as I am contemplating making a large purchase and don't want my util to max out. They said my CL is $5000, and that I am allowed to spend up to $7000. They had a term for going over the CL, but I don't recall it at this time. They said I would have to have CLI processed in store. So if I end up following through on that purchase, I guess I'll see what happens!

Here we go again...
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.