Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping AMEX PRG after AF

tag
kchengg1
Contributor

Keeping AMEX PRG after AF

How many of you guys kept your AMEX PRG after the annual fee?

Last App: 7/1/2016
AMEX PLATINUM (NPSL) | AMEX EveryDay Preferred | SPG Personal & Biz | Amex Everyday | Citi AAExecutive| Citi AA Plat | Citi Prestige | Citi Thank You Premier | DISCOVER IT | BOFA Cash Rewards Visa Signature | Alaska Personal & Biz | Amex Plat Biz | Amex Biz Gold
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Keeping AMEX PRG after AF

@kchengg1 wrote:

How many of you guys kept your AMEX PRG after the annual fee?

I have had mine for years. 

Message 2 of 12
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Don't rely on polling.  Determine if the card is beneficial to you.

Message 3 of 12
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

+1. This....

Message 4 of 12
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

To be fair, we don't know if the OP was just going to get a total count: to decide   "97 do, 114 don't, OK, I'll drop mine"   Perhaps hoping for useful answers like "I am keeping mine because of the [awesome little known benefit]" or "No, the new EDP gives me more of the benefits for less"

Message 5 of 12
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

True but his question simply asks "How many" actually kept the card after AF.

Message 6 of 12
HiLine
Blogger

Luckily, American Express charges annual fees on a pro rata basis, so after AF or before AF doesn't really matter. I did not keep my PRG long enough for the AF to hit.

Message 7 of 12
AvadaKedavra
Established Contributor

I mainly got mine for the sign up bonus. I have other cards with better rewards and any benefits specific to the PRG I don't utilize so I can't imagine keeping it past the 0 AF period. 

Message 8 of 12
Jlu
Established Contributor

@AvadaKedavra wrote:

I mainly got mine for the sign up bonus. I have other cards with better rewards and any benefits specific to the PRG I don't utilize so I can't imagine keeping it past the 0 AF period. 

This. I used mine as a 'foot in the door' so to speak. It allowed me to get the SPG, which was my goal card. I will be closing the PRG before the AF hits next year.

The MR bonus paid for a 2 week rental of a red convertible mustang while I was in Seattle this summer. That was worth it.

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jlu wrote:
This. I used mine as a 'foot in the door' so to speak. It allowed me to get the SPG, which was my goal card. I will be closing the PRG before the AF hits next year.

The MR bonus paid for a 2 week rental of a red convertible mustang while I was in Seattle this summer. That was worth it.

Way to go!

You must have gotten the 50,000 MR bonus Smiley Tongue

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.