Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping CareCredit Alive?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Keeping CareCredit Alive?

Hi all -

I opened a CareCredit account almost a year ago as essentially a poor man's dental insurance. Fortunately, I've not yet needed it, but am struggling to figure out ways to keep it alive with the one year mark approaching. Does anybody have any tips? I do live next to a Rite Aid, which takes CareCredit, I believe, but am loathe to run an unnecessary charge at Rite Aid for the sole purpose of keeping it alive.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Keeping CareCredit Alive?

Well....that seems to be your only option unless you use for the dental insurance you don’t need to utilize yet. 

Just buy toiletries (things we always use and need) and pay it off immediately. 

Simple solution. 

Message 2 of 22
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

If you don't have any need for it and you don't want to make an unneccessary purchase keep it alive...there seems to be only one choice.  Leave it alone and let it die slowly.  They'll probably reduce the limit at first and then close it after a continued pattern of inactivity. 

Message 3 of 22
cuthatcard
Frequent Contributor

Totally agree with this ^^ !!

I too, live a just a bit from a Rite Aide, use it there, pay it off. Keeps it " active ".

Have read in these forums of some having theirs converted to MC ( I believe), so it may be best to it along, if ya wanna keep it !
FICO :November 2016
TU-761 EQ 756. EX - 749
No Baddies
QS1 -$2,000. Care Credit $9,600.00 CHASE Freedom $3,000.00 Discover IT $1,000.00
Inq TU 4 EQ 3 EX 2
Message 4 of 22
FeeBear
Regular Contributor

That is exactly what happened to me. I was checking my balance (to make sure I don't have one) and I saw a second credit line. I called up and they basically moved my credit line to a Mastercard and closed my old one.

Fee

Message 5 of 22
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

If it's been a year, maybe it's time for a trip to the dentist. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 22
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all -

I opened a CareCredit account almost a year ago as essentially a poor man's dental insurance. Fortunately, I've not yet needed it, but am struggling to figure out ways to keep it alive with the one year mark approaching. Does anybody have any tips? I do live next to a Rite Aid, which takes CareCredit, I believe, but am loathe to run an unnecessary charge at Rite Aid for the sole purpose of keeping it alive.

Thanks!

This is one of the reasons I ditched the card.  It's not good to use for ordinary purchases, it's only good for emergencies, it has a limited number of places you can use it, and when you do need it in emergencies people often find that the account has been drastically CLD'd for non-use.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 7 of 22
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all -

Thanks!

You could always make a very small purchase.   Activity is activity.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 8 of 22
cuthatcard
Frequent Contributor

Great, IMHO !

Any data points ( that you're aware of) as to why they moved ya to the MC that may shed light to some of the rest of us?

I've had mine a little over a yr..interested in how/why/when, they " might" move others to it ?!?
FICO :November 2016
TU-761 EQ 756. EX - 749
No Baddies
QS1 -$2,000. Care Credit $9,600.00 CHASE Freedom $3,000.00 Discover IT $1,000.00
Inq TU 4 EQ 3 EX 2
Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I did end up buying like a bottle of milk to keep the card active. For my own future reference, let's say I live somewhere in the near future where I'm not near a Rite Aid; what would be the best way to go about keeping it active?

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.