Established Member
saggy1

Keeping UTI Below 9% ??

I am wondering how this works.

If you have a $1000 credit line would the following scenario(s) be correct in explaining how it takes place?

Scenario 1: Closing date the 1st. It is currently the 25th. Balance is $600.00. The 30th rolls around and you pay $510. You now owe $90. Your UTI is now around 9% when the statement closes in the next few days and a $90 balance is reported to the credit agencies.

Scenario 2: Throughout the month you ONLY rack up $90. So your UTI is never above 9% throughout the month. You then pay your statement to $0 by the 1st or keep a minimal balance by the time your staement closes.

Scenario 2 makes little sense to me because if this is the case (for me) I would want around a 10k limit so I could charge $900 or so throughout the month. Most people do not have this sort of limit...

So what I am thinking is if you have a $1000 limit you can put whatever amount EVEN $1000 on it; however you want to have your balance below 9% by the time your statement closes.

Please explain if I am wrong. I want to make sure I go about doing this the right way.

THX!!!

Senior Contributor
Wolf3

Re: Keeping UTI Below 9% ??

saggy1 wrote:

I am wondering how this works.

If you have a $1000 credit line would the following scenario(s) be correct in explaining how it takes place?

Scenario 1: Closing date the 1st. It is currently the 25th. Balance is $600.00. The 30th rolls around and you pay $510. You now owe $90. Your UTI is now around 9% when the statement closes in the next few days and a $90 balance is reported to the credit agencies.

Scenario 2: Throughout the month you ONLY rack up $90. So your UTI is never above 9% throughout the month. You then pay your statement to $0 by the 1st or keep a minimal balance by the time your staement closes.

Scenario 2 makes little sense to me because if this is the case (for me) I would want around a 10k limit so I could charge $900 or so throughout the month. Most people do not have this sort of limit...

So what I am thinking is if you have a $1000 limit you can put whatever amount EVEN $1000 on it; however you want to have your balance below 9% by the time your statement closes.

Please explain if I am wrong. I want to make sure I go about doing this the right way.

THX!!!

Scenario 1 is correct.   It does not matter what the daily balance is, only the balance at closing.   

Note, a few banks don't report at closing, so there are exceptions.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}