Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping a Safe Card?

tag
smc733
Valued Contributor

Keeping a Safe Card?

So this is a random question,

But rather than get a store card, as I really can't seem to find one I like that isn't backed by HSBC, I had a better idea.  What if my fourth card was an Amazon Visa card?  Its easy to get, and I can leave this at home as a backup in case god forbid my wallet gets stolen?  Keeping it active?  I'll make it the autopay card for Netflix, iTunes, and myFICO, $30 a month in activity, it will be my online/safe card.

Any thoughts?

smc

EDIT:  And also all online purchases, such as Amazon.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Re: Keeping a Safe Card?

Not sure Amazon is easy to get card. I was declined for it when I applied before.

Message 2 of 7
smc733
Valued Contributor

Hmm, well I'm going to let some INQs age on my TU report (what chase pulls in NJ), before I go ahead with applying.

My BestBuy Store Card ended up reporting :/, so I'm just going to open it and use it, besides computers (which I get from Apple), not really much I spend over $600 on there anyway, might as well put it to use.  They said they can re-instate my credit line before 30 days.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 3 of 7
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Virtual Credit Card Numbers are being touted as safer to use for online purchases.   You may want to check that out.

Message 4 of 7
smc733
Valued Contributor

@Wolf3 wrote:

Virtual Credit Card Numbers are being touted as safer to use for online purchases.   You may want to check that out.

Right, but that's not really my concern so much, as I tend to only shop at a select few well-trusted online retailers.  

I am more interested in the fact that I would have something as a backup if I lose my wallet, plus if all my subscription charges go to it, they wouldn't be affected.  

I really want to dispute my Best Buy account because its showing as "Beneficial Bank", hey, I applied with HSBC right?  I didn't know they were the same, but I'm going to restrain and keep that account.  So IDK if I should have the GEMB/Amazon to finance books when I buy them (over $149) for class, or the Visa as a backup to my other cards.

Message 5 of 7
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

My HSBC card reports as Household on 1 report, HSBC or the other 2.

Message 6 of 7
smc733
Valued Contributor

@Wolf3 wrote:

My HSBC card reports as Household on 1 report, HSBC or the other 2.

Right, I realize that's what they do, but I was trying to be sneaky and get a crappy tradeline removed, but I decided against that.

I still don't know if I want to either get the Amazon Store or Visa Card at this point...

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.