Kill Crap 1??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Kill Crap 1??

@DI wrote:

@score_building wrote:

@DI wrote:
I wish the moderators would stop these types of posting.  They're tasteless and harms the atmosphere of the forum.

They've earned their reputation whether or not you are able to acknowledge it.

I don't have any serious problems with them either but I don't feel it is incumbent upon me to act as their spokesperson in every thread, Sheesh.

Cap1 is hardly a class act.

I would just hate to see this site becoming known for bashing creditors.  I don't think the creator intended for it to be.  We all know businesses can't please everyone, despite steps and guidelines put in place, to ensure the utmost customer service.  

Message Edited by DI on 01-14-2010 11:51 AM

Language is subjective.

In context of the OP, and what I believe the intent of OP was that "Crap 1" is an indication of the card, not the company.  And in fact they do have builder cards that have AF, higher APR's and low ceiling/go nowhere CL's.

And while these cards can be useful for initial build or rebuild of credit, they quickly outlive their usefulness in all but date opened and payment history.

Therefore, what I took from OP was:  "Should I close my high fee card because the AF will be charged in a couple weeks."  OP then disclosed their portfolio.  That is the "spirit" I gathered.

I think that "bashing" of companies, posts or individuals is best to avoid.  State a polite opinion in all things.  Where somebody else fails to do this,...do not respond in like kind, but in proper example.  Smiley Wink

TO OP:  Personally, I would keep CapOne and close, if you want to reduce fees, the FP card.  It's fees are more than $39.95, is actually a lower CL, and has monthly fees.

However, depending on if you want/need any of the builder CL's, you could close any of the builder cards.  Personally, if I were to keep one, it would be CapOne over FP or Credit One.  CapOne and Orchard can be worth the history and backup card use.  $39 AF is less than $4 per month which I'm guessing is less than you pay FP.

Let us know what you decide.

Message 11 of 24
DI
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@DI wrote:

@score_building wrote:

@DI wrote:
I wish the moderators would stop these types of posting.  They're tasteless and harms the atmosphere of the forum.

They've earned their reputation whether or not you are able to acknowledge it.

I don't have any serious problems with them either but I don't feel it is incumbent upon me to act as their spokesperson in every thread, Sheesh.

Cap1 is hardly a class act.

I would just hate to see this site becoming known for bashing creditors.  I don't think the creator intended for it to be.  We all know businesses can't please everyone, despite steps and guidelines put in place, to ensure the utmost customer service.  

Message Edited by DI on 01-14-2010 11:51 AM

Language is subjective.

In context of the OP, and what I believe the intent of OP was that "Crap 1" is an indication of the card, not the company.  And in fact they do have builder cards that have AF, higher APR's and low ceiling/go nowhere CL's.

And while these cards can be useful for initial build or rebuild of credit, they quickly outlive their usefulness in all but date opened and payment history.

Therefore, what I took from OP was:  "Should I close my high fee card because the AF will be charged in a couple weeks."  OP then disclosed their portfolio.  That is the "spirit" I gathered.

I think that "bashing" of companies, posts or individuals is best to avoid.  State a polite opinion in all things.  Where somebody else fails to do this,...do not respond in like kind, but in proper example.  Smiley Wink

TO OP:  Personally, I would keep CapOne and close, if you want to reduce fees, the FP card.  It's fees are more than $39.95, is actually a lower CL, and has monthly fees.

However, depending on if you want/need any of the builder CL's, you could close any of the builder cards.  Personally, if I were to keep one, it would be CapOne over FP or Credit One.  CapOne and Orchard can be worth the history and backup card use.  $39 AF is less than $4 per month which I'm guessing is less than you pay FP.

Let us know what you decide.

I do not support 'killing' anything.  I do support the closure of the account if that's what the OP is wanting to do.  

Message 12 of 24
nothingman02
Valued Contributor

+1 to txjon,

OP, Id recommend the same. To keep the cap 1 and close the FP.

Message 13 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

LOL. 

DI, "killing an account" is just symantics for closing and doesn't represent any atrocious act....though when referring to "killing" it vs "closing" it, this may be due to a motivation behind the act. 

I try to get the "gist" of the post rather than worry about words, unless they become very over the top, foul or attacks upon persons directly.

Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 24
niquieg
New Contributor

JoJo i've kept it that long because i'm young and it was my second card, so i've used it to practice good credit habits, and maintaining good practices. Before I got BoA my card between 3 cards I only had $1375 in available credit
Bank of America $5000/ Alliant Credit Union $2000/ Amazon Chase $2000/ Capital One $1600/ First Premier $475
Message 15 of 24
DI
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

LOL. 

DI, "killing an account" is just symantics for closing and doesn't represent any atrocious act....though when referring to "killing" it vs "closing" it, this may be due to a motivation behind the act. 

I try to get the "gist" of the post rather than worry about words, unless they become very over the top, foul or attacks upon persons directly.

Smiley Wink

LOL.  I understood.  I just don't like all the name calling toward a reputable company that has helped many rebuild their credit.  

Message 16 of 24
score_building
Senior Contributor

and hopefully members will contiinue to feel free to vent their frustrations without being bashed by other members for doing so.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 17 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@score_building wrote:

and hopefully members will contiinue to feel free to vent their frustrations without being bashed by other members for doing so.

True...."reputable" is a subjective term.  Just because I may have had a good or bad experience does not mean others had the same.  Some people are livid with about every bank out there, top down.  Some hate AMEX, some BoA, Chase....and some love them.

Beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder....and the eye tends to judge on personal experience rather than others experience.

LOL  Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 24
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@niquieg wrote:

Your opinions are need, thank you. Should I get rid of capital one or what other options do i have?

My annual fee of $39.95 for capital one is due on the 27th. I've had this card from 2005 and it's with a $500 limit.

I also have a Orchard Bank opened 2005 $1600.00 util 0

First Premier 2005 $475 util 0

Bank of America 2007 $2000 util 1500

Hi...you are obviously able to work yourself away from the builder cards. I would close Cap One so as not to have to pay the annual fee. Then, before your annual fee comes up on First Premier, I would app for another bank card. Then I would also close the First Premier.

If you do that, you will have Orchard, BofA, and one other card. You may want to look at a credit union card.

There is a place for the annual-fee-low-limit card, but you are no longer in that place. I'm not in favor of paying an annual fee just to keep history going. The history on your Cap One card will still report, even though closed, for up to the next 10 years.

Message 19 of 24
DI
Super Contributor

@niquieg wrote:
JoJo i've kept it that long because i'm young and it was my second card, so i've used it to practice good credit habits, and maintaining good practices. Before I got BoA my card between 3 cards I only had $1375 in available credit

niqueig-  I am happy for your success.  Please do not think I am bashing you.    The thing that bothers me is Capital One has given credit to those who wouldn't otherwise qualify for cards due to adverse credit problems.  And once the card served it's purpose and the cardholder credit has improved, they are still stuck with the same terms of the card.

Being stuck with the same limit and terms of the account doesn't make the creditor bad.  It just a sign to graduate oneself from the card and put it to rest.  If it involves fees one is not wanting to pay, there's no need to keep the card open.  

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.