Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kind of in a bind and upset....

tag
happypill
Valued Contributor

Re: Kind of in a bind and upset....

@icyhot wrote:
No offense taken, I knew my mom had credit problems, I had no idea how severe and I didn't think that they came just from blatant irresponsibility. And the fact that she thinks credit = money doesn't help either

Yeah, that phenomenon of credit=money is pretty common.  My GF is a great example.  When she gets a new card, she'll go to the store and look for ways to spend the money whether she needs something or not.  Then, she'll pay back $20 per month racking up huge interest charges.  She just doesn't tie together the fact that the $500 she spent initially on random unnecessary stuff ties to the $20 she pays every month which then ties to interest charges that result in paying $1000+ for some random junk that's long forgotten by the time its paid off.

No surprise, her credit is terrible and I'd never consider adding her as an AU to my cards.  She's still able to get store cards from time to time though - I guess the reason stores offer cards without HP is because of how lucrative it is to offer credit to people who max out and pay tons of interest.

Message 21 of 24
Shae123
Contributor

OR after this, take her card.  This way she can be an AU on paper.  You'll help her and she won't put you in anymore binds.

Message 22 of 24
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Crazy thing is, I had her cards on MY person and didn't give them to her. But since she needed the card for her trip I gave it to her and she immediately goes nuts. Hmph
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 23 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Callandra wrote:

@icyhot wrote:
I have removed her from one card to keep her from running that one up too, it's the Venture and the balance is only $200. I don't want to remove the CSP because she's going out of town and she'll need it for confirmation of the hotel and car I booked. I added her to help her credit but now I'm thinking it was a bad idea because she's the reason my Macy's balance is so high, and she doesn't seem to be able to grasp the concept of high balances = bad. So I don't know. I'm just trying to be a good daughter :-/

You are NOT a bad daughter. I think it's really kind of you to help your mom. 

You might want to have a talk with her about when she uses your card that she needs to give you the cash (in full) right away so you can pay off what she's charging. If she's treating the card like free money, that's an issue and if she's an AU on your card, you will be held responsible for it, not her. If she cannot do this, you might want to remove her as an AU. I don't think CSP has 0% (?) so you are going to accrue interest on it as well. 

I would trust my parents as AUs (they have excellent credit, no debt) but not all family is necessarily trustworthy. I'm lucky to not have this problem with family but I see it with my fiance's family. His mom is constantly bailing out his younger sister (she's run up her cards again) and I told him that his mom really should stop bailing her out (his parents are in major debt as well, that's not helping them!). I know it's none of my business but if you keep bailing people out, they will never learn. 

Chase aint gonna care either way. I wouldnt worry about it. I would wait until your CL gets higher before you start letting other people charge stuff to the account. If you had more padding this wouldnt even be an issue, so I can see why you are upset

Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.