Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kohl Credit card worth apping for ?

tag
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

Kohl Credit card worth apping for ?

I have plenty of cards which is giving me second thoughts of apping for it and don't need a store card but I know you get plenty of coupons if you do have the card like 30% off and etc and I love shopping there. Worth apping for? Also is it 3 pulls since it is backed by capital one?

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Kohl Credit card worth apping for ?

There's not 3 pulls with it as far as I've heard, but no, I don't think you really need it at this point. Although the coupons are nice, they have become a lot less exclusive in recent times. Just signing up for the free rewards program gets you many of the same discounts. I am in the program and routinely get 20% - 30% off emails. I don't use them that much because IMO Kohl's just marks up prices and gives you these coupons to make you think it's a great deal, but that's off topic.

At this point with all the cards you have don't waste a pull on a Kohl's card. Unless you are truly shopping there religiously it's not really worthwhile and even then like I said most of the discounts aren't exclusive to the CC. It's clear your gut is basically saying to not apply, and if you are fishing for things to app for, you really probably don't need it.

Message 2 of 22
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

There's not 3 pulls with it as far as I've heard, but no, I don't think you really need it at this point. Although the coupons are nice, they have become a lot less exclusive in recent times. Just signing up for the free rewards program gets you many of the same discounts. I am in the program and routinely get 20% - 30% off emails. I don't use them that much because IMO Kohl's just marks up prices and gives you these coupons to make you think it's a great deal, but that's off topic.

At this point with all the cards you have don't waste a pull on a Kohl's card. Unless you are truly shopping there religiously it's not really worthwhile and even then like I said most of the discounts aren't exclusive to the CC. It's clear your gut is basically saying to not apply, and if you are fishing for things to app for, you really probably don't need it.

I never seen to get the physical ones like my mother and my brothers GF does Smiley Sad.  As far as the markups I do notice and but there is also plenty of items that end up being cheaper so I tend to shop there a decent amount of times. Just got a Nutribullet for $70 after a 20% discount and after including sales tax ( 8.875%) so it was a good deal. 

As far as apping goes I don't like store cards with me only having Amazon's, American Eagle, Gamestop ( will probably close it) and Bestbuy which I do or have shopped there a lot at the time of the app.  Only reason I was considering the Kohls credit card was for the coupons ( Physical ones) which i would like to get. I do get ones in my email but only for online i believe Smiley Sad  you are probably right I don't need the card and probably won't now lol. Was about to when I bought the nutribullet at 6 AM yesterday though Smiley Tongue

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
Message 3 of 22
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Lol i think that can get us sometimes a last minute app cuz you want it at that momentSmiley Happy. Like KDM said if you really shop religiously and really want go for it but if not save that hp for a card you can really use. Great daySmiley Happy
Message 4 of 22
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

How much do you expect that you'd save?  Are you talking a few bucks a year?  Ten?  A hundred?  How much Kohl's spend do you typically have?

Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can use the online coupons in store. You just have to add the coupon code to the kohls app and then the store can scan it from the app.

I'd say this extra discounts you give from this card make it definentely worth it. By stacking 30% off coupons, discounted gift cards, and cash back, kohls cash, and yes 2 rewards you can get some amazing deals.

Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

My husband and I "share" a Kohls card and we don't regret apping for it. The max CL is a little annoying but with the crazy APRs on store cards we dont carry a balance. The discounts are decent and a lot of the times the cashiers will give you a coupon if you dont have one and are using the card and theyre also more likely to let you use expired coupons and kohls cash. I also think you get much better discounts online with the card than without but IDK if you ever shop there.

The card has a tiered system like many store cards, the more you spend on it annually the higher you are and the more and better discounts you receive. Because of this system people who use the card frequently are a lot more likely to enjot it than people who have it and hardly use it. Details: https://cs.kohls.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/211/kw/What%20does%20MVC%20mean/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ2OTg...

Like someone else mentioned the deals can be similar to their rewards program but you also have the option to stack the rewards and coupons so thats not a bad thing.

Overall we really like the card and I would say it was worth the HP.

Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You can use the online coupons in store. You just have to add the coupon code to the kohls app and then the store can scan it from the app.

I'd say this extra discounts you give from this card make it definentely worth it. By stacking 30% off coupons, discounted gift cards, and cash back, kohls cash, and yes 2 rewards you can get some amazing deals.

Yes this is very true. I can use up to 4 Kohl's Cash, Coupons, discounts, and gift cards. Plus some months, shipping is free for cardholders online. I just bought a $45 backpack for my classes for only $15 after all of this LOL

But, what the other person said is true also. You can find coupons all over the internet and just use a regular credit card to pay and still receive Kohl's cash, etc if you are signed up. It's just up to you to decide if the extra benefits with the card are worth it. For example, if you shop in the store a lot, then the free shipping would not have much effect on you.

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

You have to decide if its worth it for you don't let me or anyone else tell you to get it if you wont use it much okay disclaimer over

For me the Kohls card is worth it, I use the card atleast 3-4 times a month, sometimes once or twice a week.

For the most part the 30% for Kohls card members is only for members, on ocasion they will have mystery offers that you can use online which offer you up to 40% off.

You can usually google the 30% Kohls coupon, and as long as you are a Kohls card holder you can use the 30% regardless of what you got in the mail. Every month Kohl's offers free shipping for card members during the 30% off promo.

For me the card is worth it, I have only had it for 5 months and I am already almost up to MVC status, only have $56 more dollars to spend before I become an MVC. (planning to meet that spend this weekend with the 20% off and tripple yes2you rewards points, along with kohls cash)

I have heard Kohl's card member customer service is subpar. I remember calling in to verify after I applied, was told I would get a call back within a few hours, waited a week never got a call back form credit services. I finally called back after a week and got in touch with someone who could verify me and apologized for the poor service and them not calling me back. (A week seriously they clearly did not want my spend or for me to have the card!)

Proceed at your own risk, I shop there enough to justify the card; when you hit MVC you get 18 special member discounts a year.

Its also a cap1 card and AA from cap1 is almost unheard of as other members have put it!

Message 9 of 22
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

How much do you expect that you'd save?  Are you talking a few bucks a year?  Ten?  A hundred?  How much Kohl's spend do you typically have?

I don't spend a ton there. I love American Eagle jeans and rather spend $55 a pair there which i do. I only buy my work pants at Kohls and some other clothing a few times a year. Part of it is the fact is that they do jack the prices up and than offer all sort of sales and coupons to make it look like you're saving money when you really aren't which is probably why I don't shop their a lot. Per year I spend around $500-$600 a year there give and take. Really don't need another card so I guess ill wait until I close some other cards and see where I am then.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.