Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LOC or Credit Cards for dental work???

tag
ChistineNJ
Frequent Contributor

LOC or Credit Cards for dental work???

I am planning on getting some much overdue dental work done, can you guy please give your best advice on which financing i should use? my cost of treatment for the first phase is 10K after dental insurance is consumed.

I have 3000 in care credit, which im using on a deferred payment plan, plan to pay it off in 3months which was already applied to my balance

to finance the differance which would be the best option? 

capital one venture card  @ 17.90

NFCU LOC at 16.90% interest rate

NFCU credit cards at 17.99% or 15.15% 

my goal is to keep my credit score where it is at 683 but with consuming half of the credit line i know i will take a hit, which brings me to my question is it better for me to utilize my LOC which does have the lowest interest rate, or should i use the credit card? to my understanding the LOC reports differently than revolving credit.

your advice is much appreciated

C1 Venture 15K| NFCU NAV CHECK 15K| CASH REWARDS 5K| CARE CREDIT 3K| NORDSTROMS 1K| LORD & TAYLOR 1100| WALMART 600| TargetRed 500|Rebuilders

CAP1 1650| CAP 1 1100| BARCLAYS 2500| NREWARDS 8500|
SCT: VS 1100| EXPRESS 1100| JCREW 250| *HIDDEN TL BML 650

SCORES 709, 657, 623
Pre BK scores: 569, 587, 553
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: LOC or Credit Cards for dental work???

LOC's are included under the revolving accounts total credit lines. So, the utilization impact will be the same regardless of which you use. So lowest interest rate would be the best choice.

Message 2 of 11
ChistineNJ
Frequent Contributor

ughh ok I got it, thought maybe it would be less of a score impact if i used the loc, well at least the loc is the lowest interest rate.

C1 Venture 15K| NFCU NAV CHECK 15K| CASH REWARDS 5K| CARE CREDIT 3K| NORDSTROMS 1K| LORD & TAYLOR 1100| WALMART 600| TargetRed 500|Rebuilders

CAP1 1650| CAP 1 1100| BARCLAYS 2500| NREWARDS 8500|
SCT: VS 1100| EXPRESS 1100| JCREW 250| *HIDDEN TL BML 650

SCORES 709, 657, 623
Pre BK scores: 569, 587, 553
Message 3 of 11
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Although it would incur an additonal HP on TU (mostlikely), have you considered requesting a CLI on your Care Credit CC?   I was able to get my CL to over $10K with scores in the 670s.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 4 of 11
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

With some FICO models HELOC LOC's are not counted towards utilization once the credit limit is over 35-40k.  Presumably, it is the same for other LOC's.

I know you are not looking to get another card right now, however, it might be a good time.  You could certainly use a zero percent intro period.  Plus it would be easy to earn any sign up bonus.   I just don't know if your SL would be high enough to be useful.  Still it might be worth while to check out Cap1's, etc pre-approval sites.

You may also want to talk with your dentist to see if she has a payment plan.  They may have better terms than your credit cards.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditDunce wrote:

With some FICO models HELOC LOC's are not counted towards utilization once the credit limit is over 35-40k.  Presumably, it is the same for other LOC's.

I know you are not looking to get another card right now, however, it might be a good time.  You could certainly use a zero percent intro period.  Plus it would be easy to earn any sign up bonus.   I just don't know if your SL would be high enough to be useful.  Still it might be worth while to check out Cap1's, etc pre-approval sites.

You may also want to talk with your dentist to see if she has a payment plan.  They may have better terms than your credit cards.

It may be worth it to apply for a card with a 0% introductory offer, take a HP to see if Care Credit will increase your CL, or do both.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is the dental work worth more to you than the impact of a HP? Call care credit and tell them you are going to have some dental work done. Ask for about double what you actually need, for you may get a counter offer that will put you at or above what you are actually going to use. My spouse had an $800 limit for 3 years. She called early this year and requested $15k. The counter came back at $9.6k

Message 7 of 11
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I agree completely with the folks who have suggested contacting Care Credit about getting a CLI... while a APR promo on a bank card is nice, you really can't beat deferred interest for 24 months.  Smiley Wink

I got my Care Credit a few months ago in anticipation of getting dental work done.  I figured my total bill would be around $2k; I requested $10k and was assigned $8k.  It all worked out rather well, because I had a tooth to break last month, which needed a new crown in addition to the elective procedures I have coming up (dental implant). 

Whatever you decide, good luck both with your financing and your upcoming dental work!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 11
chally
Regular Contributor

Agreed, Care Credit is good about CLI in my experience. My vet's office actually put a call in a couple of times on my behalf, was never an issue and always a 0% APR for at least 12 months for the amount in question.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ChistineNJ wrote:

I am planning on getting some much overdue dental work done, can you guy please give your best advice on which financing i should use? my cost of treatment for the first phase is 10K after dental insurance is consumed.

I have 3000 in care credit, which im using on a deferred payment plan, plan to pay it off in 3months which was already applied to my balance

to finance the differance which would be the best option? 

@Anonymous one venture card  @ 17.90

NFCU LOC at 16.90% interest rate

NFCU credit cards at 17.99% or 15.15% 

my goal is to keep my credit score where it is at 683 but with consuming half of the credit line i know i will take a hit, which brings me to my question is it better for me to utilize my LOC which does have the lowest interest rate, or should i use the credit card? to my understanding the LOC reports differently than revolving credit.

your advice is much appreciated

Denistry and Credit, my two favorite things!

Best advice, take the HP for care credit. Ask for 25k let them counter.  Not only will it help you now and for future 0% offers, but it will help your utilization.

How many months will you need to pay this off?  Utilization will heal with time, but I would try to use no more than 70% of your care credits new limit.

Your scores are probably good enough to score a 0% card with a bonus that will be of use to you in the future. Figuring out which one is the issue.

Have you checked for any prequalified offers?  Get on amex and see if you have anything with a sepcific APR.  If the APR listed is below 20, your limit could potentially be decent (5k+)...use that same experian inquiry and pair it with the PRG.  Then you end up with a card that will grow with you over time, establish yourself with another bank, and have 60-75k points that transfer to delta for upwards of 3 roundtrip tickets and $200 in airline gift cards.

As far as dental costs go, I see you have insurance.  How much is that saving you? There exists a discount plan called careington care 500. It is around $7 a month, cancel anytime, and gets you at least half off on treatment costs.

Based on your scores your best bet is to take the HP for care credit unless its only a few months old.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.