Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LOL, CHASE Freedom Declined!

tag
DavidZeng
Regular Contributor

LOL, CHASE Freedom Declined!

I just back from NYC yesterday, when I tried to buy some gas at a shell station in Pennsylvania, Freedom declined me both at pump and cashier. I used this card same day at NYC shell, NJ Sunnoco, and that Penn shell( I first bought some snacks, $8 went through, then $25 gas declined). I never tried to use my Freedom today, Chase never sent me a fraud alert or anything. Just a little bit curious, why?Smiley LOL

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
hilarybanks
Valued Member

Re: LOL, CHASE Freedom Declined!

Numerous purchases at gas stations is usually a sign of fraud. When credit thiefs steal and clone cards, they tend to hit up a lot of gas stations. I'm surprised that they didn't call you, though.

Barclay Visa Fin $1500 | Wal-Mart Discover $2000 | AmEx BCE $3000 | Target $3000 | Slate Visa $4800 | Hyatt Visa $5000

Last App: 3/16/2014 (Current FICO 740 per 4/07/14 Barclay FICO)
Message 2 of 32
DavidZeng
Regular Contributor

@hilarybanks wrote:

Numerous purchases at gas stations is usually a sign of fraud. When credit thiefs steal and clone cards, they tend to hit up a lot of gas stations.

But they never sent me any emails or Message, Should I try my card today at my hometown? Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 32
notfancy
Valued Contributor

@DavidZeng wrote:

@hilarybanks wrote:

Numerous purchases at gas stations is usually a sign of fraud. When credit thiefs steal and clone cards, they tend to hit up a lot of gas stations.

But they never sent me any emails or Message, Should I try my card today at my hometown? Smiley Very Happy

No. Call them up and let them know it was you using your own card. They probably canceled it, or at least have it on hold until you call in and prove that it is you and that your card was not stolen. They're just trying to protect you. Especially after all the card compromises lately... they are on high alert for suspicious activity.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 4 of 32
DavidZeng
Regular Contributor

Just called them, fraud alert removed, why they never called last night, ehh.Smiley SadBeacuse I am not important to them??

Message 5 of 32
randeman
Frequent Contributor

The only time I have ever been called regarding attempted fraud, those who got my information tried to charge purchases that were several hundred dollars.  Maybe they felt your charges were too small and were sort of giving you the benefit of the doubt, maybe thinking that these small purchases were not enough of a warning sign that they were fraudulent charges.  That may be bogus, but it's a possible reason.

Experian Score: 689--Amex 27 July 2014; Equifax Score 680--MyFICO--17 September 2014; TransUnion Score 718-Discover 20 August 2014--PUH-RAISE JESUS, I finally broke 700!!! Cards and Credit Lines: Escape by Discover, Chase Freedom Signature Visa, Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Signature Visa, Chase Sapphire Preferred Signature Visa, Barclay's Holland America Visa, Citibank Custom Credit Line, Paypal Custom Connect Credit Line, Bloomingdale's, Macy's Premier Elite, Amazon Store Card, Lord & Taylor, Nordstrom, Discover It, Gold Delta SkyMiles from American Express, PayPal BML.
Message 6 of 32
efranklin23
Valued Contributor

@notfancy wrote:

@DavidZeng wrote:

@hilarybanks wrote:

No. Call them up and let them know it was you using your own card. They probably canceled it, or at least have it on hold until you call in and prove that it is you and that your card was not stolen. They're just trying to protect you. Especially after all the card compromises lately... they are on high alert for suspicious activity.

+1 to this. Chase usually calls you on these matters but if not, call ASAP and see what's going on with your card.

AMEX BCE (30K), DISCOVER IT (29.5K), NFCU CASH REWARDS (25K), BOA TRAVEL REWARDS (15K), USAA VISA (13K), CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE (13K), COMMENCE MASTERCARD (7.5K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), TFCU CC (2.5K), TARGET REDCARD (900)
Message 7 of 32
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

All these banks stopping cards at slightest poss of something amiss is wrong and it must stop, it is out of control. Personally I terminate relatinships over it, my cards need to be reliable and available at a moments notice.. I would call the EO tomorrow and lodge a complaint.

Message 8 of 32
Open123
Super Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

All these banks stopping cards at slightest poss of something amiss is wrong and it must stop, it is out of control. Personally I terminate relatinships over it, my cards need to be reliable and available at a moments notice.. I would call the EO tomorrow and lodge a complaint.

I actually agree with you.

I absolutely hate it when my card gets declined for fraud.  It is inconvenient, embarassing, and wastes my time to call in going through "yes, it's me," and answering all my security questions.  

Since I'm not liable for fraudulent charges (and, only up to $50 by Federal law), this practice serves only to protect the issuers, just as check ID protects the Merchants.  If it doesn't benefit me, I don't want to be bothered.  Actually, I don't use cards with touchy fraud preventiion alogrithms.

Message 9 of 32
enharu
Super Contributor

Maybe you were on the road outside town and had bad reception? It's not too surprising if you had services with certain carriers such as tmobile that has horrible coverage outside cities, since they "don't care about places that are in the middle of nowhere."
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.