Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LOL, CHASE Freedom Declined!

tag
DavidZeng
Regular Contributor

Re: LOL, CHASE Freedom Declined!

@enharu wrote:
Maybe you were on the road outside town and had bad reception? It's not too surprising if you had services with certain carriers such as tmobile that has horrible coverage outside cities, since they "don't care about places that are in the middle of nowhere."

I was on the main interstate road and I use AT&T 4G LTE network, I got the message of gas station transaction notification every time I swept my card, even last night. They just didn't want to call me or email me. I got emails when a suspicious transaction happened when I use their debit card before, now with Freedom, it seems they don't care at all.Smiley Sad

Message 11 of 32
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@DavidZeng wrote:

@hilarybanks wrote:

Numerous purchases at gas stations is usually a sign of fraud. When credit thiefs steal and clone cards, they tend to hit up a lot of gas stations.

But they never sent me any emails or Message, Should I try my card today at my hometown? Smiley Very Happy

I've found that most never will notify you, to include big banks

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 12 of 32
rlx01
Established Contributor

In my experience, the only fraud system worth a lick is AMEX. You can automatically clear fraud alerts through the iPhone app, online, and through an automated phone system.

Chase is hit and miss. I get SMS messages asking if I made a transaction on my CSP, but they just deny random business charges on my Ink+.

Not sure how Citi, etc handle this.

Message 13 of 32
red259
Super Contributor

Its really rude for them to cancel or put fraud holds on cards and then not notify the card holder. Its obviously done to protect them and not me. I don't mind fraud prevention assuming that they notify me that there is an issue either by email or phone. However, to just shut a card off without warning may very well be a reason I would cancel a relationship with a lender. Sometimes I go out for the night and don't want to carry my whole wallet and therefore I take just one card. I don't want to get stuck out at some bar at 3am trying to reach the credit card company because they are refusing to pay my tab. In the future I guess I will take two different cards out with me, but I dislike this as it puts a second card at risk of being lost/stolen and is not convenient to me.   

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 14 of 32
red259
Super Contributor

@rlx01 wrote:

In my experience, the only fraud system worth a lick is AMEX. You can automatically clear fraud alerts through the iPhone app, online, and through an automated phone system.

Chase is hit and miss. I get SMS messages asking if I made a transaction on my CSP, but they just deny random business charges on my Ink+.

Not sure how Citi, etc handle this.

Is there an android app?

;
Message 15 of 32
clocktick
Valued Contributor

Chase Freedom declined me at a gas station 45 minutes from my house.  I called them up and she said it's not the usual area I get gas.  I told her my usual area is near my house, of course, but there are going to be others outside my "normal" area.  45 minutes away?  C'mon!  They also gave no notice, e-mail, text, etc.

On the other hand, Chase CSP e-mailed and texted me suspected fraud a couple of weeks ago and they were right.  It was a $600 attempted purchase at a Footlocker in VA while i live in NY.  I was happy they notified me.

Not sure if it's  distance thing or an amount thing or...?

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 16 of 32
red259
Super Contributor

@clocktick wrote:

Chase Freedom declined me at a gas station 45 minutes from my house.  I called them up and she said it's not the usual area I get gas.  I told her my usual area is near my house, of course, but there are going to be others outside my "normal" area.  45 minutes away?  C'mon!  They also gave no notice, e-mail, text, etc.

On the other hand, Chase CSP e-mailed and texted me suspected fraud a couple of weeks ago and they were right.  It was a $600 attempted purchase at a Footlocker in VA while i live in NY.  I was happy they notified me.

If I am leaving the area (like going further than one state away) I call up chase and put a travel alert on my account, so that they know charges coming from a certain state will be mine. The footlocker purchase was probably supicious for both location and amount. My girlfriend who lives in NY bought a tv at walmart with her amex in NJ and amex refused the charge due to fraud alert. She was displeased to say the least and almost cancelled the amex as a result. 

;
Message 17 of 32
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@clocktick wrote:

If I am leaving the area (like going further than one state away) I call up chase and put a travel alert on my account, so that they know charges coming from a certain state will be mine. The footlocker purchase was probably supicious for both location and amount. My girlfriend who lives in NY bought a tv at walmart with her amex in NJ and amex refused the charge due to fraud alert. She was displeased to say the least and almost cancelled the amex as a result. 

+1 to this. It's a little bit of a nuisance, but with most cc's you can post a travel alert right online. They even have a special menu item for it. Only takes a minute.

I guess most people think that's only for when they're flying to Venezuela or Tibet or someplace, but it's helpful even for a domestic road trip.

Message 18 of 32
DavidZeng
Regular Contributor

@Gunnar419 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@clocktick wrote:

+1 to this. It's a little bit of a nuisance, but with most cc's you can post a travel alert right online. They even have a special menu item for it. Only takes a minute.

I guess most people think that's only for when they're flying to Venezuela or Tibet or someplace, but it's helpful even for a domestic road trip.

Acutally I also used my SPG card for a new set of tires and spent couple of nights at a Starwood property at NYC, the AMEX never  rasied a fraud alert. I also used BCP to shop at a japanese supermarket for about 120 dollars. Wow, Chase....no word.

Message 19 of 32
red259
Super Contributor

@DavidZeng wrote:

@Gunnar419 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@clocktick wrote:

Acutally I also used my SPG card for a new set of tires and spent couple of nights at a Starwood property at NYC, the AMEX never  rasied a fraud alert. I also used BCP to shop at a japanese supermarket for about 120 dollars. Wow, Chase....no word.

Staying at an SPG property with the SPG card would be an odd thing to set off a fraud alert. The whole point of the card is travel and stayting at hotels. If people have a history of travelling to certain parts of the world etc, then their profile will reflect this and a fraud alert is much less likely. That could explain the Japanese supermarket depending on your travel history. I hope to visit japan next fall. Or did you mean a Japanese store in the US?

;
Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.