Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LOL @ Discover - Thanks a lot!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: LOL @ Discover - Thanks a lot!

Report isn't perfect but good. And very thick. INQs are hurting likely yes, hence my gardening. I froze all three after recent spat of approvals.

As for prima Donna, well that's matter of opinion. Some of us don't want a toy cars when we have limits approaching or over $10k. Looks a bit odd and frankly is no use at all. Discover is known to be a pain in this area and I'm not the only one who thinks so
Message 21 of 52
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Report isn't perfect but good. And very thick. INQs are hurting likely yes, hence my gardening. I froze all three after recent spat of approvals.

As for prima Donna, well that's matter of opinion. Some of us don't want a toy cars when we have limits approaching or over $10k. Looks a bit odd and frankly is no use at all. Discover is known to be a pain in this area and I'm not the only one who thinks so

I understand your perspective, but take a minute to step back and realize that all lenders are not equal.

For example I personally value a $10k starting limit with cards from Amex, Cap1, NFCU, and NASA way less than $10k starting limit on US Bank Cash+ and Barclay SM because the former list of banks gives limits out like candy. 

Message 22 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ive been offered and turned down the joint card twice. Waited it out till my reports were a little cleaner and got 7k. I wouldnt have even taken the offer but thats just me.

Message 23 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think often times we read about the great limits others are receiving and think why not me. But there is just so many things that factor into the CL lenders give out. Anything put down on the initial app can be used as a deciding factor, age, location, job, if you rent or own, ect... The lenders each have their own criteria witch can change at anytime. They also have investors to answer to and have limits on how much money can be lent at any given time.
I think what's more important is the ability for growth, and historically Discover isn't known for great SL but is for growth potential.
Message 24 of 52
laurenjessica
Frequent Contributor

Be patient. Let it grow. Not all lenders are the same. Discover isn't necessarily going to be the same with your second card as it was with your first. Just because you have high limits doesn't mean you are owed or guaranteed a high SL. Plus, your score only dropped 10 points. Assuming nothing extreme is happening in your profile, it'll bounce back in no time. Nothing to get bent out of shape over.
Credit cards:
NUS000000091-480x304-STRAIGHT-96unnamedmissionlanemobileIRIDESCENTpaypal-cashback-credit-card-16373091c11536849downloadvenmoTJX-Rewards-Platinum-Mastercardcardart-prim-645x406
AU Cards:
disney-premier-cardNUS000000327-480x304-STRAIGHT-96NUS000000269-480x304-STRAIGHT-96
Store Cards:
Credit-Card-Large61d9c1a7-5683-4228-8bb4-c2747006069dAPSC-SECUREDCARD-CB658179059Kohls-CC-no-egt-SM-RGBpinkimg093647Paypal-Credit-Logo-Ameri-Commerceimg056321sc-plus-black-Creditcard
Auto loan:
toyota

Actively rebuilding since August 2022.

Starting FICO 8 scores (8/24/2022):

Current FICO 8 scores (2/12/2024):
Message 25 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm closing it. It's a joke. I do understand your stances and appreciate it but discover acts holier than though when I call in, like lending $500 when my profile is the way it is is some big thing -- WITH A co applicant. They are not getting my business period.

Maybe I'll try again in a year. If they come at me low ball again, I'll just refuse and say thanks but no thanks and lifetime ban them :-)

I get your points but I'm stubborn and picky with these things. I have plenty of other big CL cards that have great rewards too
Message 26 of 52
yfan
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It seems that this is how Discover is isn't something that you just .... well, discovered. So why did you apply for this joint card in the first place, especially since both applicants (you and your partner) already had their own Discover cards? I still don't see an answer to that.

Message 27 of 52
creditguy
Valued Contributor

While everyone has a differing opinion on a situation it's ultimately the OP's descision to make and they have made it. What may seem trivial to some is a big deal to others and they have their reasoning so it's not fair to pass judgement.

Now a lot of us know Discover is weird and there's no rhyme or reasoning to their methods. I will say it's a good card to have though. I think they would have eventually given OP a great CL with time but I understand the insult and probably would have felt it too. But OP has plenty of great cards and relationships to build and grow so no biggie, but I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to reapply later on down the road when some inquiries fall off and some aging takes place and see how discover reacts. Knowing them they'll probably do a complete 180 and offer you the moon and the stars, they are just that weird. Anyway OP it's your credit, you do what you feel is best and the best of luck with everything.
Message 28 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm still confused as to why you wanted a second Discover card?

I'm fairly new to the credit world and this is just my opinion, but maybe they saw that you already had a card + other higher limit cards and thought "why would they need more credit" and saw you and your partner as a "risk".

Message 29 of 52
laurenjessica
Frequent Contributor

^This.
Credit cards:
NUS000000091-480x304-STRAIGHT-96unnamedmissionlanemobileIRIDESCENTpaypal-cashback-credit-card-16373091c11536849downloadvenmoTJX-Rewards-Platinum-Mastercardcardart-prim-645x406
AU Cards:
disney-premier-cardNUS000000327-480x304-STRAIGHT-96NUS000000269-480x304-STRAIGHT-96
Store Cards:
Credit-Card-Large61d9c1a7-5683-4228-8bb4-c2747006069dAPSC-SECUREDCARD-CB658179059Kohls-CC-no-egt-SM-RGBpinkimg093647Paypal-Credit-Logo-Ameri-Commerceimg056321sc-plus-black-Creditcard
Auto loan:
toyota

Actively rebuilding since August 2022.

Starting FICO 8 scores (8/24/2022):

Current FICO 8 scores (2/12/2024):
Message 30 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.