Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LONG TERM CREDIT CARDS?

tag
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

Re: LONG TERM CREDIT CARDS?

This is a toughie..

My seldom used green card because it gives me many many years of backdate..

BCP - I always need groceries..

Amazon Store - I've been shopping at Amazon forver, can't see stopping now.

HH (Surpass) - I like to get away for 2-3 days every now and then. 30K points a night.

Probably my must 3 at the moment.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 21 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Some of these will have to evolve because my credit will evolve and at least one of these cards is falling off the face of the earth at the end of the year.

Right now for general travel the AMEX Delta works.  I fly Delta almost exclusively because of where I live so that makes it more useful.  I'm looking at trading this out for the Venture or possibly carrying both once the AF for the Delta kicks in next year. I'll have to see how much travel I'm really doing after this year.

For Hotels, right now I have the Citi Hilton because I stay almost exclusively in HIltons for work and personal travel. I use it as my daily driver for groceries, gas, drugstores and the Hilton points rack up quickly.  No idea what I'll do when it disappears at the end of the year, but I'm eyeing the AMEX Hilton options. Only concern is that AMEX doesn't love me quite the way Citi does.

Cashback is easy.  My DoubleCash. It's straight forward and does exactly what it's supposed to do.

Message 22 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd keep, until I die: 

All 5 of my Chase Cards

• CSP
  • United Mileage
  • Amazon Visa
  • SLATE
  • Freedom

CitiBank Card

• AAdvantage® Platinum Select 

• AMEX BCE and Discover Cards

In all reality,  these are heavy hitter cards for your profile. Anything else is really relative and can be replaced. All the other banks may go belly up at some point. But NOT the heavy hitters! Those are what you want in your life,IAH.

Message 23 of 25
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:
Amex BCP and US Bank Cash + were AMAZING when they came out, but within a year or two became much less valuable.

Hey LTL, just curious, what was the original rewards structure in regards to the Amex BCP? Also, how long has the card been out, or available?

I'm not familiar with the history of the BCP, and I'm just a little curious.

Thanks!

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 24 of 25
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@grillandwinemaster wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:
Amex BCP and US Bank Cash + were AMAZING when they came out, but within a year or two became much less valuable.

Hey LTL, just curious, what was the original rewards structure in regards to the Amex BCP? Also, how long has the card been out, or available?

I'm not familiar with the history of the BCP, and I'm just a little curious.

Thanks!

I think I got the BCP in 2011, (there are threads on MyFico that year referring to it, e.g. http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Thinking-of-app-ing-for-AMEX-Blue-Cash-Preferred-what-a...)

The original reward structure is what it is today, with one critical difference: the 6% was not capped!   So there was no limit to how many "products" you could buy, with some on FT buying spending several $100Ks     And unlike many issuers, when Amex capped at the $6K a year, they gave people up to a year's grace period (the cap came into effect on your card's anniversary date) leading to some very aggressive usage once people knew it was going away.   It took another 2 years or so to introduce a cap on the OBC as well.

US Cash + was similar, but they did much more nerfing, not only introducing a cap but also removing popular categories, removing bonuses for having a checking account, and bonuses for redeeming $100 in rewards.

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.