Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lame preapproved Amex Platinum upgrade offer

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lame preapproved Amex Platinum upgrade offer

Amex offered me 50,000 points to upgrade my business gold rewards to platinum for 10k in spend over 5 months. The rep told me I average 6k in spend per month and have spent $10,000 in shipping over the last 3 months (my 3x point category) She suggested I up my spend for a month or so to get the points and PC back to the gold. Thoughts? I told the rep I might as well just apply for the platinum and get the 40k points for 5k in spend. I have a personal Platinum so I'm only looking to maximize my points but don't 'need' a second platinum card.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
redpat
Senior Contributor

Re: Lame preapproved Amex Platinum upgrade offer

There are 75k offers out there for Bus Plat, I get them all the time.  The nice part about bus plat vs. personal plat is the 30% MR rebate on MR redemptions for airlines.

I'm thinking of apping next year for bus and close personal for 75k and the 1.30x redemption option w/ MR points.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can the phone reps up your offer? Seems to me I asked but she didn't offer anything. I'd go for 75,000 points if they offered it.
Message 3 of 6
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Can the phone reps up your offer? Seems to me I asked but she didn't offer anything. I'd go for 75,000 points if they offered it.

No phone reps cannot offer that.  I will show up in amex offers as "your pre-approved for" when you login to your account.  If you don't take it right away it disappears and will show up again now and then.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

75k brg app is super easy to get, however .... lots of 150k biz plat targeted offers floating around lately.... i would jump on that so quick if I saw it lol

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have to be a business to take advantage of the 150k Platinum offer?

I'm still waiting for a 100K Platinum personal offer.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.