Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline needed for CC approval?

tag
seetheworld1

Landline needed for CC approval?

Hi, guys,

This may seem like a really stupid question, but I haven't had a real CC in many years and I'm preparing to apply for a couple of prime ones now that I've got my credit repaired. Do I need a landline phone in order to be approved? I've read that some people were intially denied a card but then the banks called back at the home number they provided to verify info and they were then approved. I haven't had a landline phone in maybe 10 years. I use my cell as my home phone and it's been great. Does anyone know whether this would be a problem for the banks? (I have a thin file -- one car loan that's more than 2 years old and a Capital 1 secured cc that's under 2 mos old). I'm going to let the cap 1 secured card report for a three or four months more and then app for a Chase and poss Cap 1 Venture or Discover and I wondered whether the lack of landline might be a problem. Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks for all the advice you've given me!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Landline needed for CC approval?

It's all about matching credit reports.

cell phone is just fine though I use it for everything

Message 2 of 10
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

Nope, you don't need a ladline.  I only put my cell on apps.  No probelems at all.

Message 3 of 10
Radek7752
Contributor

@seetheworld1 wrote:

Hi, guys,

This may seem like a really stupid question, but I haven't had a real CC in many years and I'm preparing to apply for a couple of prime ones now that I've got my credit repaired. Do I need a landline phone in order to be approved? I've read that some people were intially denied a card but then the banks called back at the home number they provided to verify info and they were then approved. I haven't had a landline phone in maybe 10 years. I use my cell as my home phone and it's been great. Does anyone know whether this would be a problem for the banks? (I have a thin file -- one car loan that's more than 2 years old and a Capital 1 secured cc that's under 2 mos old). I'm going to let the cap 1 secured card report for a three or four months more and then app for a Chase and poss Cap 1 Venture or Discover and I wondered whether the lack of landline might be a problem. Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks for all the advice you've given me!

I haven't had a landline since 2007 and I started acquiring cards when I turned 18 a year later. I have never had an issue with my cell number being listed on applications. Times have changed and I am sure most businesses are aware of the growing trend away from landline phones. I have done business with the banks you have listed and my cell phone hasn't been an issue at all.

BoA: Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard
Chase: Sapphire Preferred (WMC)/Freedom/Amazon/Auto Loan (41k)
Citi: Thank You Preferred/Forward/Simplicity
AmEx: Zync/Blue Cash/Starwood Preferred
Discover: IT
GE: JCP/Walmart Discover
Message 4 of 10
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

You'll be fine - if they need a manual review to verify information they will call the number you provided, so no worries! Good luck and keep us posted!

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 5 of 10
seetheworld1

Wow! Thank you all for your quick response. I really appreciate it. 

Message 6 of 10
otter69
New Contributor

If you are trying to get a card with CitiBank, they occasionally make you jump through silly hoops, one of them being showing your most recent landline bill.

I don't do senior citizen activities like Bingo, needlepoint, shuffleboard, square dancing, and ABSOLUTELY NO GARDENING!
Message 7 of 10
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@otter69 wrote:

If you are trying to get a card with CitiBank, they occasionally make you jump through silly hoops, one of them being showing your most recent landline bill.

IIRC, that is to "verify" your id...they made me send a utility statement, student id, SS card, and birth cert...I remember going what.the.bleep... I think they just want a bill in your name at the address you say you're at.

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 8 of 10
rushx2112
New Contributor

I haven't had a landline in all my adult life years and it's never been a problem for me

Message 9 of 10
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@seetheworld1 wrote:

I'm going to let the cap 1 secured card report for a three or four months more and then app for a Chase and poss Cap 1 Venture or Discover and I wondered whether the lack of landline might be a problem. 

I've had accounts with all 3 of those creditors.  Haven't had a landline in ages.  Didn't have one when I apped for any of them.  If a creditor mandated a landline it seems like it would be a mandatory field on the app.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.