cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large monthly purchases- which card?

tag
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

Re: Large monthly purchases- which card?

Boston, and maybe Chicago, are the most liveable cities in the US.  The "T" is terrific to use. The Discover miles card seems perfect for you, and with your CL . the utility would still be under 40%.

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

We're doing the same in NYC—I can't believe I've been here for years and hadn't thought to do this before this year. Right now, I'm using my Citi AA to get the 50,000 mile bonus, and I pay it a few days before the statement cuts.

We're using RadPad (2.99% fee) which charges your card and cuts your landlord a check. My landlord is super old school and only accept mailed checks so the fee I'm paying is worth the peace of mind and not having to scrounge up a stamp and a checkbook every month.

Message 12 of 15
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@mapkos13 wrote:

I actually just applied for thre Discover it Miles card and was approved for $20,000.

I'm going to use this for the first year as they give you essentially 3 for 1 spent as a promotion.

That's be good for $2,600 in credits!

With slightly more hassle, you could use the discover card to load Redbird at Target, and pay your rent with the billpay function (not having to pay the $100 fee)  

But I echo the point about getting miles instead, if you can use them.   While $2600 is nice, it's just over 1/3 of a months rent and getting it back (1/2 thoughout the year, the rest as a lump sum) might not be very noticeable.   If you can collect SPG/UR/MR miles, you can redeem for a memoreable trip (maybe).   

Message 13 of 15
casemodgod
Established Member

I been doing this for minimum spends for about 8 months now.  

It costs me 3%, but makes hitting large spending goals a heck of a lot easier.

Once my spend is met, I apply for another bonus card, rinse and repeat. 

So far this year, Ink for $600, Citi AA will be next up, and then Cap 1 Venture.

So total value is around 1500-1600 and the cost to me is about $20/mo.  

The place I use does like someone else said, just cuts them a check, sends them a

full statement with all my information, they've had no issues with this setup.  My landlords

are just a husband and wife setup.

Last year I used it for Marriott Rewards, and Chase Sapphire.  It works, and while yes it costs you something.

The benefits far outweigh the spend.

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@casemodgod wrote:

I been doing this for minimum spends for about 8 months now.  

It costs me 3%, but makes hitting large spending goals a heck of a lot easier.

Once my spend is met, I apply for another bonus card, rinse and repeat. 

So far this year, Ink for $600, Citi AA will be next up, and then Cap 1 Venture.

So total value is around 1500-1600 and the cost to me is about $20/mo.  

The place I use does like someone else said, just cuts them a check, sends them a

full statement with all my information, they've had no issues with this setup.  My landlords

are just a husband and wife setup.

Last year I used it for Marriott Rewards, and Chase Sapphire.  It works, and while yes it costs you something.

The benefits far outweigh the spend.

Chase Sapphire and an undecided hotel card are next for me after a few months of gardening and hitting the spend on my Citi. We travel a lot, so the benefits are definitely worth it.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.