Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Largest balance transfer?

tag
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Largest balance transfer?

So I'm not planning to open any cards atm, but I have my Freedom and Amex balances (about $10k of cc debt) 0% expiring closer towards the end of this year. I recently paid about $2k against those balances, but I might need a new balance transfer card depending on how much of a dent I can make in that debt.
Obvi if I transfer that much debt, I'll need a moderately high credit line. Scores are all around 700.

So my question is this:

What is the largest balance transfer you've successfully completed?
Who was the credit card issuer?
Did you recon?

This is not an invite for folks to chastise me for my financial decisions. :-)
Any info is appreciated.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 1 of 83
82 REPLIES 82
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Re: Largest balance transfer?

"This is not an invite for folks to chastise me for my financial decisions. :-)"

That takes the fun right out of it Smiley Sad

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 2 of 83
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

C'mon SnackTrader... Reveal those Snacks and give me the good info... Don't act like you never have completed a BT ;-)
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 3 of 83
Startome
Regular Contributor

lol. Can we chastise Snack Trader for his hidden chastising thoughts? Smiley Wink

Current: EQ FICO 0, TU FICO 0, EX FICO 0 | Starting Score: 0 (08/21/2013)

Starting total revolving credit: $0 | Current total revolving credit: $1600.00

Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 3-4 TU Unsure EX Unsure | Most Recent: 8/19/2013

2013 Goals:
1,000.00 Emergency Fund
1,000.00 Emergency Fund, AGAIN
Mechanically Sound Car
Unsecured Card

Fifth Third $300
U.S. Bank Harley Davidson $300
Capital One Platinum $500
2nd Capital One Platinum $500

Message 4 of 83
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
So I'm not planning to open any cards atm, but I have my Freedom and Amex balances (about $10k of cc debt) 0% expiring closer towards the end of this year. I recently paid about $2k against those balances, but I might need a new balance transfer card depending on how much of a dent I can make in that debt.
Obvi if I transfer that much debt, I'll need a moderately high credit line. Scores are all around 700.

So my question is this:

What is the largest balance transfer you've successfully completed?
Who was the credit card issuer?
Did you recon?

This is not an invite for folks to chastise me for my financial decisions. :-)
Any info is appreciated.

I'm in the process of moving ~$2300 from my CSP to my IberiaBank Select for about 6 months.  Daughter's car had to have a transmission rebuild done, I told her I'd pay for it if she paid me back.  Put it on the CSP for the points and now transferring to IberiaBank for the low interest rate.  She'll have it paid off in February when she gets her tax return, but will make payments to me in the meantime.  I have an $8K limit on my IberiaBank card, so I'll take a bit of a ding for util, but it's no big deal as I'm not applying for any new credit and it will go back up when it's paid off. 

In the past I've moved $2K from one card to another without any problems, usually to a $10K card. 

Message 5 of 83
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I wish I had gotten that Clear card before Amex got rid of it! I like the see thru cards. What was your score when they approved you for the Iberia card? I feel like I may not qualify for it with a barely 700 FICO...
Message 6 of 83
MMTT31
Established Member

You should look into the Citi Diamond Preferred Card. It has 0% APR for 18 months on balance transfers, only thing is that they charge a 3% balance transfer. 

Message 7 of 83
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
I wish I had gotten that Clear card before Amex got rid of it! I like the see thru cards. What was your score when they approved you for the Iberia card? I feel like I may not qualify for it with a barely 700 FICO...

They pulled EX and my score at the time was ~747...pretty much where it is now.  They didn't require the usual documentation that they request, and I got their best terms.  Didn't get the score in a letter, in the course of talking with one of their banking reps (a very charming lady in Arkansas), I just asked her what was the pull and what was the score and she told me. 

Message 8 of 83
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Thanks mmtt, but I already have that card. I hate Citibank, but my Diamond card is closed anyway.

Ah... So I might get approved, but for a lower limit... Thanks for the info :-) it's very helpful. I just refuse to pay more than a few dollars in interest. Lol
Message 9 of 83
parakleet
Valued Contributor

The largest BT I did is on my Slate. I was initially approved for $6k and BTd about $3.5k. Then I transferred $4k CL from my amazon CC to the slate and then I did another $4k BT on the slate. I couldn't do a BT from another chase card so I got the Disco IT (5.5k CL) and did a BT for my amazon CC for about $2k.

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 10 of 83
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.