cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Largest sign-up bonus (w/ no AF) $500 - $2,000 spend? - Alliant, Barclay, TD Ameritrade, etc..

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Largest sign-up bonus (w/ no AF) $500 - $2,000 spend? - Alliant, Barclay, TD Ameritrade, etc..

I plan to put about $2,000 worth of spend on my credit cards over the next 30 - 60 days. So I want to sign up for a new credit card with the best possible bonus currently available.

Some background on me.

I have a 780 FICO score. Never had any delinquencies. I have about 10 credit card lines open over 9 years with 2 credit card openings within the last year. I have never been declined for any kind of credit, except for Capital One (still have no idea why). I have a positive personal loan and car loan on my history. I have never had a home loan before.

So I am looking at my options right now. I just missed the deadline for the Alliant Credit Union 30,000 offer because it expired on June 30. I feel stupid because I do a lot of my banking with them and it would have been great to get the 30,000 offer. But it's too late and they won't honor it.

So these are the three credit card options I'm considering.. feel free to suggest any that I might have missed..

1. http://www.alliantcreditunion.org/visa/rewards/ for 10,000 reward points after $500 spend.. again I have a banking account with them so it would make sense

2. http://www.tdbank.com/personalcreditcard/easyrewardscard.html $200 after $1,500 spend with TD Ameritrade.. I've had an account with them for years.. though the account has had 0 balance in it.

3. waiting for the new Barclay Arrival card announcement in the next day or two

My biggest fear is being declined for a card. Because I was once declined for a Capital One card a few years ago.. even though I had excellent credit.. so it makes me nervous to apply for new cards.

Which of the above cards do you think might be easiest to get? What is your experience with any of these cards? Can you suggest another card with a high sign up bonus right now? I'd like either statement credit, cash back, or miles. It needs to have NO ANNUAL FEE. I don't want an annual fee card because I always have canceled these and I wish to continue building credit.

I have never done a "app-o-rama" before.. in fact even I have read a lot about it but it still scares me. But do you think I should try my first app-o-rama with the above three cards? I figure maybe I could get 3 for the price of one, especially since I plan to spend about $2,000 - $3,000 on my cards over the next few months.

Thanks so much! I've been reading a lot over several years but still a newbie. Thanks for an input and advice and thank you for reading my long post. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Largest sign-up bonus (w/ no AF) $500 - $2,000 spend? - Alliant, Barclay, TD Ameritrade, etc..

You have the exact same question in credit card applications.  Please don't make duplicate posts

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Largest sign-up bonus (w/ no AF) $500 - $2,000 spend? - Alliant, Barclay, TD Ameritrade, etc..

Is this a better forum for this question?

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Is this a better forum for this question?

Either one works and you're getting responses in the other one so focus on that one.  Eventually this one will be deleted.

Message 4 of 8
PrimeRate
Frequent Contributor

I'd skip all of the cards you mentioned. Sure the signup bonuses are ok(if that), but what then? You already have solid scores and plenty of cards. I think you need to ask yourself what these cards are going to do for you after they satisfy your need for a sign-up bonus? Apping for these cards seems like a waste unless you are some sort of collector. 

Without knowing your other 9 cards I'd recommend the following whilst keeping in mind the spend range you mentioned above:

AMEX PRG (50k pts for 1k spend)-No AF first year, then you can cancel after your first year and your MR points will be safe on your NO AF ED ↓

Throw in an ED(10k for 1k spend) app for the 2 cards - 1 pull AMEX approach and keep those MRs safe.

Keep those plans to follow the Arrival+ news if the card really appeals to you and sit tight. 

GARDEN!

☮ & ❤
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! I got to say that American Express is my favorite. I've loved every AmEx card and their customer service is really top notch! I'll Google that card you mentioned.

Primarily to be honest, I suppose that I could be classified as a bit of a "collector." I mean I do primarily enjoy and get the most from the sign-up bonuses! It takes forever to accumulate enough points / miles, etc. from everyday purchases.

Especially if I know I have a few thousands of dollars in necessary spending coming up, I actually feel like I'm 'wasting' the opportunity to bonuses and rewards if I don't get a new card with a great sign-up bonus. Right now there isn't anything AMAZING, and mind-blowing in terms of sign up bonuses.

I would prefer should like $2,000 spend in 90 days for a $400 bonus with no AF. That would be ideal. ha! But I'm not seeing that anywhere.

I'd also like to be 'pretty sure' that I can get the card without being denied. So I don't want to go for any cards that would be too out of my league. So that's why I looked at the two mentioned with smaller ($100 - $200) bonuses each.

Message 6 of 8
PrimeRate
Frequent Contributor

With the two cards mentioned above you are getting $600 minimum for 2k spend. That $600 can be swooned to far more if you research and plan your MR use.

The 50k points for 1k spend PRG offer is usually found easiest when visiting the AMEX site in incognito mode.

☮ & ❤
Message 7 of 8
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

This thread is locked from futher discussion.  Please see the following thread instead:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Largest-sign-up-bonus-w-no-AF-500-2-000-spe...

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.