Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Last card before gardening?

tag
Supernatural
Valued Member

Last card before gardening?

I would like to get one more credit card before I start gardening later this year but I am having some trouble on which one would be best.  My first pick is the Chase Amazon card because of the rewards and because I do most of my shopping on Amazon but from what I have read it might be a hit or miss with my current credit score I feel uneasy about wasting an inquire.  I already have an Amazon store card so my next pick was going to be another GECRB/Syncrony card like Walmart, JCPenny, or GAP, I assumed that since I was approved for one I would be approved for another, the only thing is I don't shop at these stores that much or at all so the card wouldn't get used which I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing.  

I have read that a lot of people have had success with Barclay's but I applied for that card in July of 2013 and didn't get it but I was still rebuilding my credit at the time so that may have been a factor.

As of right now I have 5 accounts, no late payments or baddies, 2 secure cards one from Capital One and another from US Bank,  QuickSliver also from Capital One, Amazon store card, and a student loan.  AAoA 12 months, oldest account 1 year 5 months, newest account opened 8 months ago, 8 inquiries the last being from 8 months ago,  after all of the cards report I will have a zero balance on everything but the Amazon store card which is at $934 of the $2700 credit limit.  My credit score is 698 but I did hit 714 two months ago when everything was paid off.  

Any recommendations on which card I should pick for my last one.  I am not married to the ones I have listed.  At this point I am really planning for the very distance future when I close the two secure cards I don't want to take too big of a hit on my AAoA.

Thanks

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
OHWWCB
Regular Contributor

Re: Last card before gardening?

This is going to get moved to the credit card forum but I'll respond anyway.

With a score of 698, I should think you'd have no problem getting the Amazon Visa but I'd go for the Freedom instead if I were you. Or I believe Sallie Mae is good with Amazon but I don't have one so I'm not entirely sure about that.

Hilton Honors $15,000 | AMEX Green | Chase Sapphire Preferred $9000 | Discover IT $6600 | Marriott Premiere Rewards $5000 | Chase Freedom $5500 | Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards $2000 | CapitalOne Quicksilver One $2000 | US Airways Dividend Miles $2400
Message 2 of 5
Hockeyplayrr
Frequent Contributor

Sallie Mae will give you 5% back on MOST amazon purchases for the first $750 every month.  The reason I say most is because it is technically 5% on bookstores and amazon doesn't code everything as a bookstore.  However I have purchased cds, coffee, and numerous random things on amazon and have always received 5% back.

Credit Scores: Equifax - 744 (Oct FICO) | Experian 736(Oct Fico) | Transunion - 755(Oct Fico)

Credit Lines: Diners Club 20k | Penfed Plat Rewards 7k | SDFCU 5k | Amex BCE - 10.5k | Chase Freedom 4.5k | CSP - 10.6k | Discover IT - 9k | Sallie Mae 3.8k | BofA 123 - 4.9k | CITI Double Cash 9.1k | Total Rewards 3.25k
Message 3 of 5
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

I wouldn't get a card that you will not use.   It is too much trouble to keep it active.   Moreover, even though GE may back the store card, the underwriting requirements for different store cards can be different.

Adding an Amex for the far future may be a good idea (note, I don't know if they would approve you for a revolver).   If you like online shopping, Discover gives nice discounts.  Plus, it has a free FICO score.  Of course, the Wally and Barclay cards also have a free FICO score.   I wouldn't rule out Barclay from an app denial a year ago.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Hockeyplayrr wrote:

Sallie Mae will give you 5% back on MOST amazon purchases for the first $750 every month.  The reason I say most is because it is technically 5% on bookstores and amazon doesn't code everything as a bookstore.  However I have purchased cds, coffee, and numerous random things on amazon and have always received 5% back.

Good recommendation. I'd say Sallie Mae is the BEST card for Amazon shopping these days.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.