cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Last place you went that didn't accept Discover/AMEX?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Last place you went that didn't accept Discover/AMEX?

I have a small business and it makes me wonder what kind of merchant and proccessors these people have that don't automatically include discover and at least relay the importance of accepting amex, I'd rather get $386 out of $400 from amex/discover instead of $0 just because I can get $391 from visa/mastercard.

Message 21 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a small business and it makes me wonder what kind of merchant and proccessors these people have that don't automatically include discover and at least relay the importance of accepting amex, I'd rather get $386 out of $400 from amex/discover instead of $0 just because I can get $391 from visa/mastercard.

The largest majority of your customers are not going to walk out over you not taking Discover/Amex (I know a poster in this thread said they do such but I think that is a bit uppity in behaviour).  Many people understand that maybe a business is opearting on thinner margins (and many are still today post 2008/2009). 

I have also seen a restaurant or two urge regular customers to stick to Visa/MC when possible due to slow times. 

I would never walk out on a business due to their not taking Amex.  It's more than silly and worst case you roll with cash or <gasp> your debit card Smiley Surprised.

Message 22 of 96
lord_kinbote
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@babson wrote:
I have been to a few convenient stores that have rejected Amex and Discover. When they do, I leave the merchandise sitting on the counter and say sorry that is the cost of doing business and leave.

This makes sense if you don't value your time, and are willing to be an unpaid shrill for Discover/Amex.   And usually you are inconveniencing a clerk who has no input into the decision as to which cards are accepted.

I could understand if you need to use the card for protection (e..g expensive electronics) or for enhanced rewards (but going to convenience stores with higher prices probably negates any extra rewards anyway), but I wouldn't bother to preach about cost of doing business (as the business knows that better than you and may have made a correct decision)

Quite the assumption in regards to my time and being an "unpaid shrill".  However, I will continue with this practice, as I see it as the cost of doing business.  

Message 23 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

Parking meeters in portland Oregon, and a local burger restrurant  didn't take amex. I was turned down for Discover and Amex in a small liqure store in San francisco. All of these were last year.

Message 24 of 96
lord_kinbote
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Completely agree and wonder myself the "savings" a merchant incurs by turning away business.  I assume in most cases, the customer simply whips out a new card and pays.  

Message 25 of 96
lord_kinbote
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The largest majority of your customers are not going to walk out over you not taking Discover/Amex (I know a poster in this thread said they do such but I think that is a bit uppity in behaviour).  Many people understand that maybe a business is opearting on thinner margins (and many are still today post 2008/2009). 

I have also seen a restaurant or two urge regular customers to stick to Visa/MC when possible due to slow times. 

I would never walk out on a business due to their not taking Amex.  It's more than silly and worst case you roll with cash or <gasp> your debit card Smiley Surprised.

Oh nice, now you are going to insult and call one "uppity" because they have a difference in behavior than you might demonstrate.  I think it is petty of the business to not take my preferred payment due the slight cost in transaction fees.  In regards to using a debt card.  FAIL.  I never use debt cards as I will never expose my bank accounts to potential fraud.  Recently I had a charge from Discover Bank that reflected a debit card usage.  In this case, Discover removed the charge immediately since I never utilized a debit transaction in the 5 years I had an account with them.  The rep actually stated that we will send you out new cards - I said do not bother, I never use debit cards and wish to ensure that my account has no linked cards.  I have had a few friends that were exposed to fraud on their debit cards and it was a complete nightmare; had to file a police report and took over a month to have the charges removed. 

Message 26 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

So the takeaway from this is for everyone to get the chase AARP.
Message 27 of 96
lord_kinbote
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
So the takeaway from this is for everyone to get the chase AARP.

Nice card.  I wish Chase would PC my Amazon.com Rewards Visa to AARP.

Message 28 of 96
icyhot
Valued Contributor

My school doesn't take Disco or Amex to pay tuition, insurance no Amex, a huge hair salon in my city TRIED to not take Discover, but I told them it was the only card I brought and they found a way real quick. That's when I realized most people CAN take them, they just won't
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 29 of 96
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Various doctors' offices that I have visited in the past have either not accepted Amex, or Discover, or both.

Message 30 of 96
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.