cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Last place you went that didn't accept Discover/AMEX?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Last place you went that didn't accept Discover/AMEX?

@babson wrote:
@Anonymous I believe you missed the mark. It has nothing to do with the history of Amex or some preconceived act of being pretentious, but rather the irritation of not accepting a valid payment method. A .05 - 1% increase in a swipe fee associated with a transaction is not reason enough to reject a potential sale.

Now with that being said, it is fully within the rights of the business to accept or not accept any payment method they so desire, but on the flip side of the coin, it's the right of the customer to take their business elsewhere. As previously stated, it is the cost of doing business.

Have not missed anything.  For someone starting a business or in a venture where margins are extremely tight 1% can make a difference (especially depening on transaction volume you then take that 1%x-number of swipes and it can add up).  Yes, it is always up to the business to accept which cards, difference being I am not like some posters here that would never give business to that place again.  That's the emphasis of my point, that someone feels the only thing acceptable to pay with is their Amex.  What, gasp, they have to pull a lowly MC/Visa and pay in shame because it's not Amex? 

It's as if the pains of operating a business has been lost on some since 2008.  That has had a lasting impact on how businesses manage their finances and has resulted in practices that are still present today. 

Message 81 of 96
lord_kinbote
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Have not missed anything.  For someone starting a business or in a venture where margins are extremely tight 1% can make a difference (especially depening on transaction volume you then take that 1%x-number of swipes and it can add up).  Yes, it is always up to the business to accept which cards, difference being I am not like some posters here that would never give business to that place again.  That's the emphasis of my point, that someone feels the only thing acceptable to pay with is their Amex.  What, gasp, they have to pull a lowly MC/Visa and pay in shame because it's not Amex? 

It's as if the pains of operating a business has been lost on some since 2008.  That has had a lasting impact on how businesses manage their finances and has resulted in practices that are still present today. 

You are projecting.  You are assuming you know the reason a customer has an issue with not using their Amex card.  You automatically chose to believe it is becasue said customer has some "air " about them.  Making generalizations of "gasp, they have to pull a lowly MC/Visa and pay in shame because it's not Amex?" is a bit dramatic.  As a customer, I am not concerned about their business margins - what I am concerned about is my own personal convenience.  I am not there to make them a profit.  

Message 82 of 96
UncleB
Credit Mentor

The last few post are taking the thread in a different direction... while I personally see both points and empathize with both as well, the thread was started to discuss the various places Discover or Amex aren't accepted. 

I'm intrigued at the back-end aspect of the whole issue (and have some experience myself) however that is best left to another thread.

Before this draws negative attention, let's honor the wishes of the OP and keep the discussion on-topic.  Someone can always start a new thread if you want to take the conversation in a different direction.  Smiley Wink

Message 83 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sometimes I expect places not to take my AMEX, like smaller operations or venders that aren't a brick and mortar store.

Buying my lunch at Augusta National the other day, I footlishly asked, "Is American Express okay?" The food tents are a temporary setup and all. The lady laughed and said, "Of course. That is the only thing I've seen all day!"

Message 84 of 96
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

My local sushi restaurant didn't take Discover . I was disappointed to say the least for a few reasons

1- I was paying for my family and a friends family. 

2- I was looking forward to the 10% cash back. 

3- I had to use my debit, and transfer money between my ACCT

4- When the waitress came back and said, "we don't take Discover" my friend jokingly said, " think theres no money left on the card."  My friend being old school and a strictly "cash only" mentality, doesn't understand "rewards" and-or "cash back" philosophies. 

On a positive note, that was some of the best d%@n sushi I have ever had, and I will certainly return, even if they don't take Discover!  

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 85 of 96
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I actually have a data point to add... I dropped by Little Caesars over weekend.  When the guy in front of me went to pay with an Amex the cashier told him they didn't accept it.  (The guy paid with a different card.)

I was next, and I already had my Discover in my hand and I 'waved' it and quickly asked if they took it, and I was told 'absoutely' (I was glad due to this being the "restaurant" quarter).  The cashier volunteered (without being prompted) that they stopped taking Amex a while back due to the extra fees, but took everything else.

While I do have my preferred cards, I've learned to 'roll' with whatever I need to get through the line.  Smiley Very Happy

(Note that this is 'haircut' week, which also means I'll be pulling out a Quicksilver to pay Great Clips... they only take MC/V.)

Message 86 of 96
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@grillandwinemaster wrote:

My local sushi restaurant didn't take Discover . I was disappointed to say the least for a few reasons

1- I was paying for my family and a friends family. 

2- I was looking forward to the 10% cash back. 

3- I had to use my debit, and transfer money between my ACCT

4- When the waitress came back and said, "we don't take Discover" my friend jokingly said, " think theres no money left on the card."  My friend being old school and a strictly "cash only" mentality, doesn't understand "rewards" and-or "cash back" philosophies. 

On a positive note, that was some of the best d%@n sushi I have ever had, and I will certainly return, even if they don't take Discover!  

+1

My favorite BBQ restaurant doesn't take Discover, either, but will take Amex.  (It's actually a nice establishment, too... not exactly 'small'). 

My father used a BlueBird almost exclusively until he recently got a Visa debit card... I'll have to ask him if there was anywhere in particular he had issues using it.

Message 87 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

I took my niece, nephew and a few other friends out for breakfast over the weekend.  Was disappointed to find that the Discover was a no-go at the International House of Pancakes. Sam's MC to the rescue? lol

They do accept AMEX though.

Message 88 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

99 Cents Only stores don't do AmEx apparently, judging by what happened with the person in front of me in line.

Message 89 of 96
Rebuilding69
Established Contributor

Apparently my local citys' bus station doesnt take AMEX when putting money on my bus pass. Had to use my NFCU card.

Message 90 of 96
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.