Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Last try for getting CapitalOne Secured graduated/upgraded

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Last try for getting CapitalOne Secured graduated/upgraded

I have had the CapitalOne Secured card for years.  I know it has been written about extensively on the struggles to get this card upgraded or graduated to an unsecured card, especially for users who have had the card for over a year (ironically newer customers within a year or less have a chance of being upgraded/graduated while older customer do not).

I just applied for a competitor's card and send a lengthy, detailed email to the CapitalOne executive office.  I received a phone call two days later from someone who promised they will try and escalate my case and see if they can get my card finally converted as opposted to me cancelling it as I stated I will do soon.

I will post an update either way since I know several people have been interested in this and so far I have never heard of success.  Hopefully this is the first case of a win.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Last try for getting CapitalOne Secured graduated/upgraded

I just got off the phone with the executive office representative.  I had to call him twice with no calls or replies back to get an update.  As expected, he said only the system can generate a secured card to be graduated and no exception or override is possible.  I told him I was disappointed and wished to close my account immediately.  He processed the closure and did not seem to care at all.  Clearly he continued to read from a script which is fine.  I am annoyed that when I asked how long it would take my rather large security deposit to be returned, that after a hold and reading of legalese he stated it would take over two months to receive my money back.  

I am posting this so others can learn from it if helpful.  I personally will not even consider a Capital One card in the future unless they come out with an extremely competitive card that blows the competition away.  Until then I will stay with current lineup which is mainly card issuers who are known to treat customers and accounts much better.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the update and sorry to hear about your troubles. You probably got a bad rep. as Capital One has improved bigly.  They do have cards that a competitive when compared to their competitors like their Venture cards. 

Your deposit will probably come sooner than the stated two months.  Hang in there...

Message 3 of 11
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Mine and hubby's deposits came within 2 weeks. Granted they were only $99 each and not a large amount but we were told 6-8 weeks before we got it back.
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah sometimes BIG block head size companies get in their own way, when it comes to making logical sense, as spoken about too often....it's simply round and round we go back to the beginning of the script... unfortunate but hey!

Also agree the check will come quicker but the SCRIPT encourages them to say 2 months to avoid every 12 hour call backs inquiring about 'da 💰, they can simply we TOLD 2 months don't bother us until AFTER that time ....same thing with the DMV they tell you WEEKS but 10 days later it's in the box.

Trust me they've made enough % off your deposit over the years, they'll process this simple line item w/o haste.

I find it "cute" that you somehow thought he may 'care' about losing an an account...like he's a business owner or something, like one account matters when they process a gazillion coming in the front door vs a trickle slinking out the back...after being profitable...again that's a noble yesteryear pipedream 😊

And NO there will be no toaster for opening a new account at your local bank either and PLEASE don't fret about Full Service at the gas station....
Check your oil
Pump the gas INTO the car
Care about losing A customer
Stop it, stop 😂😂I can't take the comedy of it all

What's next kids saying please and thank, yes ma'am and no Sir... you're killing😎
Message 5 of 11
cmm89
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Yeah sometimes BIG block head size companies get in their own way, when it comes to making logical sense, as spoken about too often....it's simply round and round we go back to the beginning of the script... unfortunate but hey!

Also agree the check will come quicker but the SCRIPT encourages them to say 2 months to avoid every 12 hour call backs inquiring about 'da 💰, they can simply we TOLD 2 months don't bother us until AFTER that time ....same thing with the DMV they tell you WEEKS but 10 days later it's in the box.

Trust me they've made enough % off your deposit over the years, they'll process this simple line item w/o haste.

I find it "cute" that you somehow thought he may 'care' about losing an an account...like he's a business owner or something, like one account matters when they process a gazillion coming in the front door vs a trickle slinking out the back...after being profitable...again that's a noble yesteryear pipedream 😊

And NO there will be no toaster for opening a new account at your local bank either and PLEASE don't fret about Full Service at the gas station....
Check your oil

What's next kids saying please and thank, yes ma'am and no Sir... you're killing😎

Your tone is offputting in almost all of your posts. And you are contradicting yourself here. 

OP, I was disappointed w/ CapitalOne as well. The CSR's didn't seem to care about losing an account, which as a person in sales and business retention as an insurance agent, is not a great strategy to say the least.  CapitalOne helped me with the $300 Platinum they gave me after a Citi Secured card, but I'm beyond their services now.  I'm going to keep providing my business to BoA/ML and AmEx. Chase is pretty great, too.

What I use (& strongly recommend): Chase Sapphire Reserve | BofA/ML (Premium Rewards VS, Cash Rewards VS, Merrill+ VS) | AmEx (Amazon Prime Business)

What I have: NFCU | PenFed | General Electric CU | Wright Patt CU | Discover | BBVA | Apple Card (GS)

Total CL with Bank of America = $100,000 (Platinum Honors Merrill Client). I am a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ practitioner, so feel free to message me if you have any planning/credit questions.

EQ 759, EX 765, TU 771 (06/10/2022)

I started with scores in the 400s in 2016. This forum is a Godsend--focus on the journey, be patient, and you'll definitely get there no matter the circumstances!

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@cmm89 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Check your oil

Your tone is offputting in almost all of your posts. And you are contradicting yourself here. 

OP, I was disappointed w/ CapitalOne as well. The CSR's didn't seem to care about losing an account, which as a person in sales and business retention as an insurance agent, is not a great strategy to say the least.  CapitalOne helped me with the $300 Platinum they gave me after a Citi Secured card, but I'm beyond their services now.  I'm going to keep providing my business to BoA/ML and AmEx. Chase is pretty great, too.

In fun news, I got a piggy bank for keeping my checking account when the bank switched hands. (Probably an I am sorry we sold your hometown bank to this corporation that does not value you or care to keep you).

Some stores actually still care about their customers. Also, some banks still want to keep their customers and actually fight to keep them.

I still have my $525 cap1 secured card I got in with the $49.00 deposit so I will probably keep the account open. ( I order a new image card every other month, it is my way of irritating them: don't judge it gives me satisfaction).

I believe Gemini has their own brand of humor and mean no harm.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same thing happened to me in chat. Asked rep for options and information about closing my secured account and the idiot immediately closed it outright without even asking my permission. FIrst card. I had it for over 2 years.

I hate the new website by the way. It's a mess. Used to be one of the best.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the comments and replies everyone (first time anyone has replied to one of my posts, but I have only made a few to date).  I hope some of you are correct in that it will take far shorter than two months.  As noted, it is a non-insignicant amount that CapitalOne has been making interest on for years.  I will try to remember to post how long it actually took to receive the check for those who are interested..

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just received my deposit in the mail today. So it took approximately one week instead of the two month estimate. Time to save/invest the money and move on. Pleased with my current lineup and recent replacement card currently.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.